Any here who didn't rebel as a teenager and were a goody two shoes instead?

by purrpurr 20 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

When I was a teenager in the borg I was a dyed in the wool, goody two shoes, squeaky clean,"spiritual " sister. Alot of my peers around me were rebelling and going off the rails but not me. I was constantly praised for this and even felt a little smug about it ha!

But now days I find myself desperately wishing that I had been one of the ones who went out drinking, clubbing and some nice lovely fornications! Instead I waited until my adult life was set in stone before i started to wake up and thus found myself truly trapped inside the Borg.

Am I alone in this? Is anyone else here a former good dub who left the Borg late in life? And if so do you wish that you had rebeled when young?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The cult is all about guilt and fear and boy did i have that in spades, I tried my best to be good and hated myself when i wasnt, that's a pretty toxic mix to grow up with and does nothing positive for a person.

I never understood those around me fornicating and living double lives because i was a believer and as such could never have allowed myself to do that. I nearly left the cult in my 20s because i just wanted sex so bad but felt the only way was to quit the cult then go do that, i didnt mainly because i had no way to support myself properly and leave home at the time because that is what i thought it would come to, which looking back now is odd as my dad was not JW, so it was all about my mothers reaction.

Do i regret not doing so, not particularly as there are too many unknowns and variables there to judge. Clubbing and drinking were never my thing, it was just sex.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep!

No doubt many witnesses are suffering the effects of repressing normal adolescent behaviour....in some it plays out in bad ways as adults!

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I was the quintessential "JW girl" when I was a teenager. Never talked back, respected my elders, thumbed my nose UP at the others who were living life outside of the bubble I thought was right. I never got in trouble and always was volunteering to help others in the cong. All association outside of the khall was thwarted by my parents - so to say I even had friends would be a lie. I went to a few JW parties and was disgusted at how these teens were acting...against the JW rules of conduct.

And now...😂😂😂😂😂😂

I am the one having fun - real fun. Whilr they are all married, divorced, df'd, etc. Whatever the case, I was a pleaser back then, wanted to make everyone happy...at the expense of my own sanity.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    That was me too. Though I probably don't qualify as leaving the cult late in life as I'm only 30 and still have time to have some fun. I do find myself wanting to finally have an adolescence now. Which can be troublesome when you're married to a cultist.
  • MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

My wife fits the bill. Parents were and still are very controlling, when we dated we always had a chaperon with us. She never snuck out or got in trouble. She was exemplary in her congregation, pioneered right out of high school. I on the other hand was a rebel growing up, detested authority and had Zero belief in God. Did a 180, came back into the fold, got baptized (I mean brain washed) and got married. Funny made a full circle, now I'm back where I started. I guess I should of listen to my gut.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Yep! Completely a goody two shoes until I was 16. I even regular pioneered for a year when I was 14. I was the youngest one in my pioneer school.

The shit hit the fan at home with my abusive father when I was 16. My mom FINALLY decided she was strong enough to escape from his abuse, and the elders decided to protect him, rather than us. That's when I saw them for who they were and never wanted to be a part of them again.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    I was obedient and submissive to the Org until 18. I'm still a good person, just not their version of "good".
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Count me in on the group you describe. Always sat in the front row of the KH with the other "good" kids and believed the crap that was forced onto me. If only we have a chance to relive our past.
  • life is to short
    life is to short

That was totally me also. I did everything I was told and never questioned a thing. I also went to a few JW parties and was appalled at how worldly they got, many of the elders kids were so drunk it was unreal. One party I went to the pioneer mom was there, the dad was not a JW but the pioneer mom had alcohol and you could drink as much as you wanted. I was just so shocked and felt so betrayed. One JW pioneer did a pole dance and of course all the guys were all over her. One of the elder son's who could not walk as he was so drunk tried to drive home and another elder kid took his car keys away they wound up in a fight in the front yard.

It was sort of surreal. The place I worked had a employee party and I was forced to go to keep my job, I felt like I was betraying Jehovah for associating for the world and yet I had the best time, there was no drinking and just young people fun.

My gut always told me something was wrong but of course I never listened to my gut. One of my main wises was to go to other churches and just see for myself how horrible they were instead of being told that they were but of course I was to goody, goody, two shoes to do that as it was breaking Jehovah's law to ever set foot in a church.

I do not regret that I did not party as that was and is just not me, but I do regret that I did not have a life, have fun, go house back ridding, go bike ridding, jogging, spend a Saturday morning in a coffee shop reading a book.

All of those things were forbidden, seriously forbidden as if you had time to read you should be reading a JW product, if you took a day to go on a bike ride you could have used it to go in service and who knew that a Angle was wanting you to call on a home and save someone but you selfishly spent you time enjoying yourself when lives were at stake.

I bought into all the garbage and never enjoyed my youth. I live in total regret.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit