Was the Bible written for the Great Crowd too? (Worship Bk ch3)

by ozziepost 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

At the last District Convention, the book "Worship the Only True God" was released intended to be used along with the "Knowledge" book on home Bible studies. Both books are to be studied before baptism.

So, what are the 'new recruits' learning?

This is the third in a series of posts selecting "highlights" from each chapter.

So, today it's chapter 3 where question is raised: "Does Bible counsel to Christians who have a heavenly hope apply also to those who have the hope of eternal life on earth (Numbers 15:16; John 10:16)

Why should such a question be raised? Obviously as a reaction to criticism of the Borg's teaching that the Bible is written only for the 144,000. The Bible applies to the Great Crowd vicariously, according to the WTS, or by extension through association with the anointed remnant. This, of course, raises a difficulty: If the Bible doesn't apply to the Great Crowd, why should they have to obey its laws etc? So, the WTS attempts to allay the "fears" of the R&F with spurious points like in the above quote.

As is usual, the writers appear to give scriptural backing for their teaching.....but do those texts do that? John 10:16 is presumably included because of the expression "God so loved the world", the conclusion being that since "the world" are receiving the benefit of the ransom, then "the world" should follow the Bible precepts. A spurious argument indeed. The WTS wants their cake and eat it too!

But why is Numbers 15:16 cited? This is a classic piece of Borg "slight of hand'. It reads "There should prove to be one law and one judicial decision for you and for the alien resident who is residing as an alien with you." Huh? Firstly, it should be noted that this text is part of a speech given, not to Christians, but to the Israelites. Why does it apply to Christians? This is where the 'slight of hand' comes in. Jesus dying for "the world" becomes obey the "one law", as if the NT is a book of law!!!!!

So often the Writing Department of the WTS resort to OT examples. How appropriate for a "works based" theology and a pseudo-Christian sect that is still bound by the OT.

Earlier in this same chapter the fledgling dub learns that the Bible can only be understood with "the aid that Jehovah lovingly provides through his visible organisation".

Only at chapter three in the book, and already the "newbie" dub is being bound to obeying an organisation.

Cheers, Ozzie

• DJ
    DJ

The claim to be the 'sole channel' starts early in the process of indocrination and it seemed to be subtle. Know we see just how blatant they are. They love the use of many words to confuse the issue and the citing of various out of place verses to back up the nonsense. It is a trap and a snare just as someone once said. dj

• blondie
    blondie

I remember when they had a WT article on that some time back. The WTS had emphasized so many times that the scriptures in the New Testament that referred to being chosen to rule in heaven applied only to a small group of people that it could be inferred that all the scriptures in the New Testament only referred to the 144,000. That is what happens when you have a two-tiered group of Christians.

Yes, verse 1-3 apply only to the anointed, verse 4-6 applies to the anointed and the other sheep, verse 7 only to the other sheep. It is insane when you start really thinking about it.

w00 11/15 Who Are God’s Ministers Today? ***

While Romans 12:1 applies specifically to anointed Christians, the principle applies also to the "other sheep." (John 10:16)

w92 6/1 p. 16 Make Wise Use of Your Christian Freedom ***

(Isaiah 61:1, 2) Today, the anointed remnant, following the example of Jesus, to whom this scripture primarily applied

w90 10/15 p. 28 Why Pursue Righteousness? ***

Romans 3:24.

In the context, these words apply directly to anointed Christians who, because of their faith in Jesus’ sacrifice, are declared righteous with a view to their being coheirs with Christ in the heavenly Kingdom. Today, however, as foreseen by the apostle John, a great crowd of Christians with an earthly hope have come on the scene.

w89 4/1 p. 14 Hear What the Spirit Says to the Congregations ***

Revelation 3:5.

True, these promises apply specifically to anointed Christians, reminding them of the prize of immortal heavenly life that awaits them. But those who are of the other sheep are also strengthened by these words. Jehovah has a reward prepared for them too, provided they are zealous and endure

*** w88 12/1 p. 25 How Shall We Repay Jehovah? ***

Although what he said applied initially to anointed Christians, are not those of the "great crowd" today also ‘readjusted for ministerial work,’ becoming ‘full-grown men’ spiritually, stabilized in the faith, ‘no longer babes,’ and ‘by love growing up in all things into him who is the head, Christ’?

*** w70 8/15 p. 512 Questions from Readers ***

And while the words of Paul have primary application to the anointed Christians promised in marriage to Christ their Lord, the principle also applies to his "other sheep" today.—John 10:16.

*** w65 9/1 p. 543 Questions from Readers ***

While, in Hebrews chapters six and ten, Paul the apostle was discussing anointed Christians with heavenly hopes who "sin willfully" and refuse to repent, it is reasonable to conclude that the same principle would apply to those of the "great crowd" of "other sheep" with earthly hopes. (Rev. 7:9; John 10:16)

*** w59 6/1 p. 339 Paying Attention to the Flock of God ***

Incidentally, although John’s messages have direct application to the spirit-begotten and anointed Christians, the principles involved apply to all those of the other sheep.

• Francois
    Francois

Virtually the entire book of Galatians is given over to that congregation receiving a very strong admonishment because some or all of them had been taken in by those who preached that although they had the new gospel of The Master, that they continued to be under the Old Law. They were taken to task for their division over the matter and their lack of understanding. Somewhere in Galatians they are told that even if he, Paul, or the angles preached something different than that they were not to listen. To me, Galatians is one of the harshest books in the NT.

Now before our startled orbs we see the WTBTS trying its best to re-apply the Old Law of Moses to the congregations today, claiming that to do so is based on applying the Old Law's principles. Nowhere in scripture can they produce even one statement that would support that contention. They made it up for their own expedience. They are preaching out of both sides of their mouths, since in one place they teach that we are no longer under the Old Mosaic Law, and in another place they teach that we are bound by the principles of the Old Law, as if there is some kind of difference between being under the Old Law or being under the principles established by the old law. There is obviously no difference between being constrained by an old law's principles and being constrained by the old law itself. This is so self-evident that adults with even a high school education should not have to have it explained. Thus the GB makes a mockery of their own claim that they are "spirit-directed" unless they would have us believe that the majestic Cosmic Mind, the Teacher, the Universe Spirit is in need of remedial education. AND they make the assumption that NONE of their readers know anything at all about building a truth table, or basic logic revealing their true motivation for objecting to higher education. It's really hard to pull the wool over the eyes of an educated man or woman as the present topic demonstrates.

Unfortunately I'm one of those types that believes if you point out an error, state clearly why it's an error, give examples of why it's an error that the person spoken to will immediately modify their views. Obviously that doesn't apply when you're speaking with a JW because they are so utterly brainwashed, and terrified of engaging in independent thinking. Right on with calling JW-ism a "prison of the mind." I really need to give up pumping all this sunshine up my own pants. Jehovah's Witnesses simply will not see! and that's the worst, most unforgiveable form of blindness.

francois

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Ozziepost,

thanks for the post and the excellent, appropiate comments.

A very good point indeed.

Blondie: Many thanks for the 'pearls' in the form of WTBS Inc. quotes.

As you can imagine , ...for the database.

Francosi: thanks for the great and logical explanation of the ...twisted

reasoning applied by the WTBS Inc. in this subject. Very true indeed.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Oz

This is proving to be an interesting series on this "worship" book and I read, with enthusiasm, each installment. But surely you will run out of interesting ideas to post before you reach the end of the book.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Dunno about that R.F., I've already got chapter 18 "in the bag"!!!

The thing is, EACH chapter presents distortions/deviations from the Truth. It may be that one day some sincere lurker is caused to "think" about their Dub faith. I certainly hope so.

Cheers, Ozzie

• JeffT
    JeffT

Thanks Ozzie. I've been out for some time and I find it interesting to see that the same nonsense is still be recycled. They are in fact an old testament religion. Jesus occupies a very small place in WT theology, and they keep having to try to dig themselves out of that hole some how.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    They are in fact an old testament religion. Jesus occupies a very small place in WT theology

That's my conclusion also, Jeff. But try convincing the dubs of that! The arguments I've had over that one!

Incidentally, it partly explains the severity of the DF procedures which were explained to me as "stoning".

Cheers, Ozzie

• JeffT
    JeffT

Ozzie (and everybody else) although it's now a bit dated you might like reading "The Four Major Cults" by Anthony Hoekema. The other three are Mormons, Christian Scientists, and Seventh Day Adventists. He demonstrates that all of them share some common features. The reduction of the central role of Jesus is one of them. They also all believe that "true" Christianity died out, and that it took a special prophet of God to restore it. All four religions filter there beliefs through books other that the Bible. It was a big part of the research I did when we left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit