Is a born-in brought up in a JW home like being a child inmate being raised in prison?

by Still Totally ADD 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I bring up this subject because of all the restrictions children have to endure in the JW cult. They are made prisoners of mind and body. Being forced to do things that are not natural for children to do. In time looking for freedom to do what they want to do but can't. Just like a inmate in prison think of all the things children are restricted from doing. Still Totally ADD

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

It's true for many of the JW children, they miss out on a lot growing up in such a strict household. Holidays and being with their extended, non Witness family is very unfortunate. But many of the young people seemed to do a good job leading a double life at the hall I attended before walking away. So I'm not sure they missed out on much when it comes to sex and drugs. I was only an elder for a little over a year but I became very critical of the teenagers at the hall. It seemed that most were doing "bad things" that makes their deity sad.

Made for many a late night after meetings.🙄

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I agree with you darkknight on the older kids but what about the younger crowd between 7 to 12. Again even sex is perverted by the Borg. Young children going into puberty being told how bad their feelings on sex was. The box they put children in is very small and cramp. With the results you and myself was out late at night trying to take care of cult matters. Still Totally ADD

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    False analogy. Prisons have extensive libraries, vocational training programs and conjugal visits. Convicted felons have more freedom, more civil rights in this country than children and adolescents. But, of course, it's "for their own good" and parents have a right to raise (brainwash) their kids as they see fit.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Things are relative. Hard core JW parents can be restrictive, other parents of born ins do not outlaw a modicum of worldliness. There is no hardfast rule. Life is how it works itself out, don't sell all JW parents down the river as zealots. Those that are true believers can be true Aholes, but so can some converts. There is a saying, "There's nothing worse than a converted sinner."

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Rainbow you are right about prisoner able to get a education.

Wasanelder I was raised by parents who was converts and boy was that saying you said really, really true. Still Totally ADD

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I believe that in anything and everything, what matters the most is love. My parents loved me; I felt it, I knew it. Sure, there are things that I wish I had done, like play football with the school team, have a girl friend, and most of all, have a balanced view about the world. Than, there are other regrets, but not sure I can truly blame the religion. Anyways, looking back at my childhood, I had everything I needed and parents that loved me. I could not have asked for more.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was a child during the 70s/80s apostasy scare. Back then they were so hardcore.

They would tell us demons will enter your brain if you daydream--the only way to prevent that is to constantly think about their publications. This scared me and I tried to comply. I would say silent prayers while walking down the hallway or riding the bus because I was afraid Satan would take that moment of mental idleness as an opportunity to possess me.

This and many other aspects of their teachings created a mental prison.

What a sick thing to do to a child or any person.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Stephanie I am so glad you had loving parents. As a child I would pray for parents like yours. Maybe the cult would have been a little easier to live in.

Rebel I know exactly what you are talking about. Indeed a mental prison it is. Still Totally ADD

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I bring up this subject because of all the restrictions children have to endure in the JW cult. They are made prisoners of mind and body. Being forced to do things that are not natural for children to do. In time looking for freedom to do what they want to do but can't. Just like a inmate in prison think of all the things children are restricted from doing. Still Totally ADD

In short yes, in my not-so-humble opinion and as a born-in. However, it is not that cut and dry. There are different family dynamics everywhere, and the JWs are not an exception.

The very first thing that I did when learning TTATT was to make sure that I understood the difference between the WT, the congregation and all that JW crap, and my dysfunctional abusive violent family.

Today as a mature man I can point with accuracy which of my issues come from the Wt and which come from my messed up family, and which comes from my messed up family's misuse and abuse of the WT teachings.

My upbringing and survival of it did feel like a jail, but the JW crap was just one layer of dysfunction in my family. Personally I am quite clear of that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit