How do you feel about the JWS religion after being out more than 10, 20, 30 years ?

by Finkelstein 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Myself being a born in and completely out for more than 30 years I see more of the damage of what this religious cult causes people .

Part of myself leaving had to do with the psychological harm it was causing people back in the 1970's, one guy my age at the time hung himself out anxiety and depression.

The numerous suicides that have occurred in numbers is shocking to say the least.

Then there is the many families breaking up.

Marriages breaking apart because one member decides to leave the JWS.

The deaths of members or their children from refusing a blood transfusion.

This hit me personally when my mother refused a BT when she was ill in the hospital and died.

Over the years and observing all of these things reminds me how glad and fortunate I left when I did but I do find it responsible to others to expose this religious cult to what can happen to people who get involved with it and that's what I've been doing on this forum and elsewhere.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I can relate to what you are saying Fink when you say you find it responsible to others to expose this religious cult .

I was not a born in but a convert and was active for 32 years and I feel a moral obligation to help others see the dangers of ever becoming involved with JW`s or as I like to think help newbies and lurkers who come on this site to question things they may never have thought of before.

Having said that I myself have learnt a lot more about JW`s from fellow posters over the years that I never knew about .

I have been out now for about 27 years , and in about 10 years on this forum.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal
    FINKELSTEIN:

I have been out almost twenty years. I came in as a young working adult...But, I would never have joined the JW religion if I knew the real story.

These meddling idiots (with affluent lives) were trying to get me to quit my full-time job. They wanted me to pursue poverty and abase myself doing favors for Users...I resisted them and refused to follow in the footsteps of other single women so they made sure I was hardly ever invited anywhere...Doesn’t matter though because it all paid off and I am Retired.

I had few friends and was on the fringes of the religion until that fateful 1995 Generation teaching which started my ‘Fade’.

I also feel an obligation to tell my experience so fewer young people fall for Witness craziness about not needing a decent job or saving for retirement..Boy am I grateful I never fell for this!

I’m sure there are a lot of panicked and needy Baby Boomers and older Witnesses there who woke up to see they DID grow old in this System of Things!!..The religion GROSSLY misled them when it told them they don’t need college or a career - which is an absurd hypocrisy since all the older people back in the 1970s were retirees collecting their pensions!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I detest with all my being a) that I fell for this Christianity-based scam, and b) the blood-sucking parasites who are running this evil money-making corporation.

@ LongHairGal - Shame on you - and every other BS/JW doubter over the past 130 + years - for not putting faith in the leadership's promise (aka dogma) that the end was coming soon.

How could you not devote your life to recruiting for the org Christ, saving lives, and not being blood-guilty? Instead, you wasted valuable time earning a living in this old dying system. Sheesh!!!

That same message has been the same priority for BS/JW's in the 19th, 20th, & 21st centuries. Sad!

Polishing the brass on the Titanic was an analogy I used to hear.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Mental illness definetly worsens the jw experience and my parents had their share. Walt on Jehovah instead of dealing with your issues. In my father's case he opposed education, especially for my sisters who had a position between men and cattle. He was the kind of man that had a hard time accepting other opinions and ambitions than his own. The new world was just around the corner. I think my mother wanted more praise from us that she put some fight in and we got high school education after all but we naturally took it for granted given the age and culture

• Tantalon
    Tantalon

I have been out for forty plus years but only really truly mentally out for a few years. I was real angry for a couple of years when I woke up properly then a bit sorry for myself for a while. Now I rarely discuss it unless someone else starts to talk about religion and don't visit ExJWsites as much. Pretty much over it I guess. I get that they are an evil and nasty cult but I don't allow them any more power over me.Free and happy!

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’m glad I’m out (35) years, born in. Still angry about my ruined childhood, but SO glad I didn’t waste my adult life on this evil cult.

• BelisemDeBelimakom
    BelisemDeBelimakom

Hi all,

I'm a PIMO (still an elder) and started to wake up since 2 years. Still learning things. It is not an easy thing to digest, as we are faced to a "scheme" that has thousands years of experience. I began to see now that WT is one of (very efficient and insidious) tools being used to detract people from Christianity; as Jesus said: 'they do not go in, neither do they permit those on their way in to go' (Mt 23:13).

All started with my research on Flat Earth (don't laugh, I believe). Out of curiosity, I researched it and amazed on the findings. After a while, the subject leaded me who is/are hiding this information and I arrived to secret societies and their workings, plans and lower limbs, tentacles. This ultimately brought me to Russell and WT Society (When I learned about secret societies, I had to check if WT was involved/infiltrated or not). At first, I wanted to believe -like any group, organization- WT must have agents of wickedness (workers of evil) inside -and without them- the organization should be pure in itself. It didn't take long for "this belief" fell into pieces. Besides, all I have experienced within the BoE and my interactions with Bethel for years clearly confirmed me the fruits of this tree are bad, thus the tree is rotten (Mt 7:17). Among all BoE where I've been, there were/are always elders jealous, covetous, masquerading as humble always spoiling the harmony. They don't want you to have privileges but they don't accept any responsibility. They know nothing, neither contribute to anything but they always complain how things can be handled. This type of men exist, I'm sure, in all BoEs and interestingly they are able to keep their positions, "walk up the stairs of WT career" and even have influence inside the congregation, creating divisions. This is not a simply difference of personalities issue. Probably you all remark this everywhere.

Once I started to wake up after digesting all this data, my reaction was I should get out of this "scheme" as fast as possible. I prayed on that and interestingly after some time, I came to realize and conclusion that exiting now may not be the ideal solution (at least in my case). Let me explain my plan and my suggestion to all PIMOs:

1. If a PIMO, stay a PIMO for a while more (patience).

2. If not yet done, stop reading WT publications, read/use/quote other versions of the Bible even in your talks. Stop donating to the organization (even for the KH expenses, as they are also sent to the org). Donate or help directly/personally those (witnesses and others) in need.

3. If not yet done, read Enoch and Book of Jasher (you will have more time now). Those will give you a deeper insight and will help you better understand the Bible. Additional reading to see the inner workings and origins of WT: Ray Franz's 2 books + James Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed" + Fritz Springmeier's "Be wise as serpents" and "WT and the Masons", all available as PDF, online.

3. Keep doing your usual congregational activities but choose which assignments, activities you accept, wisely. For ex. avoid parts that praise the organisation, Bethel work, or any parts relying on organization's point of view. Accept only Biblical parts/talks/discussions. And then use/modify those parts to praise/focus on Jesus Christ and God. You will remark an improvement in your talks (you'll be more relaxed, reaching hearts).

4. As an elder you are in a position (respected, listened) to better help those sleeping ones to wake up. Do it very gently, on personal, one-to-one basis. Use your position to "your advantage" (=for the sake of love for another). Disperse "seeds of truth" one at a time and let them germinate. Start with your close relatives, in casual conversations, during social activities, even preaching etc. When out door-to-door service have conversations based on the Bible do not advertise WT publications. As a side note: Bringing child abuse topic immediately may not have the desired effect on sleeping ones (as it will immediately bring the reaction of "how do you know that? apostate sources?" conversation will stop abruptly with a repellent effect from you). I use for ex. my findings from book of Enoch and Jasher, as the organization does not forbids them. I also mentioned a few times "flat earth" topic (yes, when I talk on that subject it looks I'm joking or kidding but a good topic to break the atmosphere and opens the path for next step). To my close family members, I talk about all the misdemeanors among BoE and Bethel that I see. I tell them it is very (and it is becoming more an more) heartbreaking and exhausting to work as an elder and give them examples of all wrongdoings I witness. How certain problems (incl. Russia) could have been avoided if wisdom and discretion was used etc. Problems related to closure of KHs and merging congregations... Once some exemples accumulate, remind them Jesus' words about the good fruits/rotten fruits and ask rhetorically "if God is with us, and we are the only channel, why such problems and rotten personalities abound in the organization?". We're told Jesus is holding the stars (elders) in his hand and why such rotten personalities always gain the upper hand? How come the org. makes such decisions? Organization seems to always choose those ambitious and covetous ones (but masquerading as humbles) for privileges... etc.. etc.. Waking up the close family members can be your focus as they are the ones who will see you struggling and can believe you better, easier and faster. You'll need them close to you so helping them can be your primary task.

A PIMO will ultimately stop associating WT, however, use whatever you have at hand right now to wake up loved ones inside. If you can't support it anymore, or you can't act as suggested above, or if you have witnessed/experienced disgusting or unbearable things, just leave. You don't have to "officially" quit neither, at first. No need to "come out", as you will not be proving anything. On the contrary you might, on PIMIs, create a negative image of yourself which can be useful in the long term. You can decide to go out gently (by becoming inactive). To the ones that are outside already: keep attached to Jesus' instructions and do not "turn sour". Keep your house occupied at all times! (Mt 12:43, 44) Once the "exodus" starts, you can be of great help! Let's help all sleeping ones to wake up otherwise they will most probably turn sour (atheism, Gnosticism) when they will be abruptly woken up and this is the very objective of WT and similar organizations.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Belisem,

As an elder, what is your opinions on the truthfullness of the Jw doctrines of:

1. 1914.

2. Blood policy

3. The position of Jesus

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

10 years out. I'm not feeling quite right in the head. I expect that makes me a bit Radio Rental. There are things that haunt me. Things I miss. People I am glad I don't have to bother with anymore.

I feel that life is bleak and worth nothing. I identify with the last words of Kenneth Williams, 'What's the bloody point?!'

I live alone now and it's shit. I hate my life despite doing my best to turn it around.

I hate the GovBod (piss be upon them) and vacillate from wanting to twat their perverted faces...........but mostly, they are below my contempt. They are worse than dog shit. I see them as lower beings; parasites. I wouldn't pee in their ear if their brains were on fire.

Oh, well, tally ho. Everything is totally wizard...and yes. It is all about me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit