What's the deal with Cheese and Apple Danishes at conventions.

by pistolpete 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Oh yes I remember volunteering for food service. It seemed I always was selected for tray cleaning. One time we cleaned off the metal food trays and the Mac and cheese was not eaten. We had at least 1,000 portions of this slop in a 55 gallon drum. During the "talks" we had to take this food out back and the drum was so heavy it rolled down a flight of stairs. What a mess we just took off because we were 13 years old. I never told anyone about this until now.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    The breakfast sandwich was an egg McMuffin called muffin n egg, it to this day was the best egg McMuffin I've ever eaten.

That's the dang truth!

I also liked the ham and cheese sandwich. I ate at one Saturday afternoon session.

The Shasta soda was nasty. Imagine gargling with salt water and then swallowing instead of spitting it out.

• Davros
    Davros

Hoagies, Shasta, burritos, pudding for lunch, and a fruit bag to munch on for the afternoon session. Especially during the drama.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The sloppy joes were the better food. I soent a night chasing flies off it once. And yes we did get food poisoning big time. Few things can top diarrhea while away from home and staying in a camper, not even in a motel.

I used to puzzle over fried chicken, wearing a suit. Now I realize the food service was justanother money scam.

My very fondest memory is driving a couple hundred miles, checking in, and having passionate sex. Something about the trip did it. Meeting my wife at the hall was one of the few good things to come from jwism.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    @meanmustard ours had ice cream too, London, Ohio.
  • SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Our assembly hall in St. Louis, MO USA, had soft serve ice cream machines. I remember working the literature depot ( where congregations picked up their monthly shipments) one Saturday and told my fellow worker I was going to go across the parking lot to get ice cream at the main hall. Back to back SADs were happening that weekend, so there should have been ice cream.

Nope. Some over eager but ignorant brother emptied the machine and "cleaned" it. It APPEARED clean, but it was not sanitized. When the two of us working at the depot looked in the machine, it was empty...but tell tale signs of bacteria had already started growing.

The resident assembly hall overseer was gone that weekend and a comittee guy was filling in. Had no idea how to fix it. My buddy and I had both helped others disassemble and sanitize before, but never had to be in charge. Took the two of us several hours (after working the depot all day) to figure out how to take it apart, clean, sanitize, reassemble and refill with soft serve for Sunday.

If we had not had a hankering for ice cream, the crew the next day would have been different and unaware of the horror that awaited them. How many hundreds of people would have been ill if they just dumped mix in and served it? I shudder to think.

On another assembly, same location, we had some strawberries (for sundae topping) that had been left too long and were fermenting in the fridge. THOSE were delicious on ice cream and made the afternoon session more palatable.

Snakes (Rich)

• just fine
    just fine

The cheese danish was the best! One of my favorites. Before our assembly hall was built, we had pizza and chili that was really good. There was a JW family that owned a very successful pizza parlor and they made the pizza for the circuit conventions. Then there was a “brother” that made really good chili and he would make these huge batches in the commercial kitchen at the rented facilities.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes I had the danishes and Shasta as well, they must've had a longstanding arrangement to buy them in bulk. It's the airplane peanuts phenomenon, i.e. the food itself isn't so great, but it is compared to the monotony of the situation.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I don't remember how good the danishes were. But the soft-serve ice cream was amazing.

• Mum
    Mum

I remember it like Blues Brother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit