What's The Worst Job You've Ever Had?

by SYN 26 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

So what's the worst job you've ever had?

Book-servant at the Kingdom Hall would be pretty bad, but Ministerial Lawn Servant is probably worse.

Outside the Society, probably my worst job was waitering. I have a very SHORT short-term memory, although this is more than made up for by my LTM, which means I made a really sh*te waiter, let me tell you. Yick!

[SYN], Minimus Class.

• Realist
    Realist

5 weeks on a construction site....thats when i decided i have to get a university education

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Customer Service Rep for a large health insurance company.

It was a nightmare. I danced a jig the last time I walked out of that place.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Any that I had to work for someone else.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I was a bank teller for several years, including post Sept. 11th. no matter where I worked it was always the same sh*t, rude customers, idiotic managers and I got held up twice. after sept 11th people became really violent in the bank, robbed atm machines and I had to work from 7am to midnight just to keep up with the demanding public and their goddamed money. It was lousy. I hope I never have to do it again.

• SYN
    SYN

Hmm...the top of my thread says 3 posts, 1 views. Interesting. Hey Simon, how exactly did you invert the space/time continuum to do that? Sounds like an interesting physics project Asking questions about people on this site seems so fashionable these days, I thought I'd join in the frenzy.

On a "related" topic, if you were a shark, what shark would you be?

A. Hammerhead (a shark with a bumper)
    B. Great White (dangerous but stupid)
    C. Tiger Shark (dangerous, but with ridiculous 80s stripes)
    D. Nurse Shark (long, useless teeth, not very dangerous, sleeps on ocean floor)
    E. Wollongong (looks like a shark carpet) (is this even a shark?) (I remember hearing about these, but I'm too lazy to look them up.)
    F. Barracuda Shark (a shark that has taken the adjunct "you are what you eat" literally)
    G. Minimus Shark (viz. a round, rather red shark)
    H. Basking Shark (a giant shark which is even lazier than I am tonight)

• Soledad
    Soledad

Id be a barracuda cause Im attracted to bright shiny things like they are

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I worked for a company in California called The Money Store...they had recently moved to California, from New Jersey, when I joined.

I worked in the Small Business Loan Department. My job was to pull up SBA (Small Business Association) loans the company had funded or purchased and routinely go over all the corporate docs to ensure they were in compliance with all the federal laws. Since SBA loans are government backed or insured, there were sooo many regs.

Everything was in paper files and/or micro fiche. For those who were children in the early 90's, that means no computerized anything. The files were about 12-18 inches thick and legal sized. Huge.

I broke my foot while there (I tripped on a curb and bam...broke it on a weekend at a Canadian Football League game-) and had to use crutches. No one would help getting the files. The files were not delivered to your desk; you had to physically go to the documentation department and ask for Joe Blow's Loan for Blimpies. I would be on one crutch trying to carry a huge file and my co-workers would snicker at me trying to carry these huge files. I dropped many and had to then go through and sort and put them back to original condition.

I then applied for a supervisory position in the student loan department. My manager got pissed because I was not there one full year and refused to allow me to transfer departments. The manager of the student loan department asked me to quit and reapply so she could hire me. I decided to quit and go to work for the government in the SBA division. I knew all the regs and laws so it worked out.

Besides the files and crutches the worst incident happened during lunch. The company *campus* was 4 rectanglar buildings with a *quad* in the middle. There were trees and picnic tables so you could go out and enjoy the beautiful Sacramento weather. One day I was sitting at a picnic table reading a book for my regulatory 1 hour lunch. I had been sitting on one of my legs. When my hour was up I stood up. My leg was asleep....I crumpled like a doll to the ground.

While I was sitting there the CEO and the President of the company were walking the quad in a deep conversation. I got up to go back work just as they walked by; within 10 feet of me. They both stopped, looked at me, looked at each other, whispered something, laughed and kept walking.

I was writhing on the ground. My leg was really sore and still numb. I could not get up for a few minutes. On top of that, my pantyhose were totally destroyed from landing on the ground. (we had to wear dresses or skirts, no pants at all)

When I finally limped back into the office someone had pinned a note to my desk chair....it said "Gimp" and there were smiley faces drawn. Later that day I found out, from the CEO's secretary who liked me, that he saw me, thought I was an idiot and he wouldn't help me because I was just an hourly worker and there were appearances to keep up.

Overall, working there was one of the worst experiences. Management were hateful, the employees were deceitful and hateful and it was boring as hell.

( I did learn how to fall asleep while holding a file propped up in one hand and my head in the other; while never being detected.--)

• SYN
    SYN

Barracudas are attracted to shiny things? Never knew that! Have you ever eaten barracuda? It has a quite sharp, tangy flavour, almost like tuna on steroids. Sort of. More gamey...

• SYN
    SYN

Wow, Tina, that sound terrible. Kudos for getting out of that one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit