Al Gore speech or JW convention?

by neat blue dog 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

For a while I have been leaning toward this is a lot of BS. They keep telling us when its cold its just weather but when its hot this is climate change. Its BS. Throw another gallon of gas in the old Firebird and drive.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

People who live in Svalbard in the Arctic circle describe the changes in the environment they’ve seen over the past 20 years.

https://youtu.be/FPbZZ1qIozk

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

A new NASA study... challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) 2013 report, which says that Antarctica is overall losing land ice.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001....[and] ...82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

Article

Looks like some years the south pole is the coldest and some years the north pole is coldest. There is a 50/50 % chance that one or the other will be the coldest.... and/or the warmest.

Whichever one is warmest that year(s), gets the global warming designation. Duh

Heat and cold move around, as you would expect on a planet full of life, atmospheric volitivity, volcanic activity and solar variance.

C02 has nothing to do with any of this in my opinion.

• hoser
    hoser

You can’t tax the heat but you can sure tax the carbon.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Today the NBC Nightly News broadcast in the USA had an exclusive interview of Al Gore about climate change. The news anchor reported that what Al predicted 15 years ago about climate change (melting polar caps, extreme hurricanes, extreme heat, and other extreme weather, etc.) is now coming true. Al said he was merely telling people what the scientists had been saying. Al also said that the changes are at a much faster rate than what the scientists thought would be case, and that we thus need to take very quick corrective action. The news broadcast also said that China announced it will cease all its financing of coal fired power plants that are outside of China. [See https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/exclusive-al-gore-on-worsening-climate-crisis-121741381523 .] Al said that since China currently finances 70% of all coal fired plants located outside of China, it is major news. [Besides the prior link see https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/21/chinas-xi-pledges-to-end-funding-for-overseas-coal-power-plants-513493 .]

Yesterday the nightly news was showing how extreme heat in Guatemala is destroying crops on a massive scales and making it very hard for people there to have enough food to eat. See https://www.nbc.com/nbc-nightly-news/video/climate-change-ravaging-crops-in-guatemala-leaving-millions-on-brink-of-starvation/644613695 .

Tonight (shortly before the interview of Al being broadcast on TV in locality) I told my sister (a JW) that Al will soon be on TV talking about climate change. She said the fact that climate change is happening doesn't surprise her since she knows what the Bible says. She said the Bible (referring to Matthew chapter 24) foretold the drastic climate/environmental changes.

The curve of CO2 levels in the atmosphere, which is included in a chart in post on the first page of this topic thread, confirms the curve that Al Gore included in his environmental books (including the books from many years ago). It also shows that Al was right in projecting continuing rises in of CO2 level, for the years following the years that Al plotted for in his books. When will the climate change deniers wake up and stop denying climate change?!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

When CO2 was way, way higher tens of millions of years ago, much of what is currently dry coastal land (land which includes very large cities throughout the world) was under oceans. Keep that in mind. Furthermore, the rate of CO2 increase, according to scientists, is currently much higher than more than 1000 years ago. The scientists say that while the current level of CO2 might not in itself bring large numbers of extinctions (and other devastation), the rapid rate of increase makes it hard for the ecosystem to adapt quickly enough to avoid disaster. Bill Nye (The Science Guy), in his book called Everything All At Once says the following.

"Sometimes the self-proclaimed skeptics point out that climate has always changed. They are right--but only up to a point. It has always changed, but the rate of change that humans are introducing now is unprecedented." He then provides the example of driving a car at 70 miles per hours and the effect of gradually reducing the speed to 0 miles hours, verses the effect of suddenly reducing the speed to 0 miles per hours by crashing the car into a brick wall. He then says the following.

"It ain't the change that's the problem, my educated colleagues--it's the rate of change that gets you. It's very much the same thing with the climate. ...

These days, it seems as though for every genuine nerd expert, there is someone else peddling false doubt. That's why we have to work together, do some thoughtful information-filtering, and make the informed voices heard. We need to make sure everyone understands the real situation; the welfare of the planet (and those of us who happen to live on it) hangs in the balance."

By the way, Al Gore's book from 1992 about the environment is called Earth In The Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit and as we know Al is a nerd (at least somewhat). My copy of that book is signed by him (though not to me). The Introduction of that book shows a chart of CO2 concentration from April 1958 (at about 315 PPM) through June 1991 (at about 360 PPM).

The quotes of Bill Nye are from pages 293-294 of the ISBN-13: 978-1-62336--791-6" edition of his hardcover book copyright 2017. I purchased a used copy of that book on September 5, 2021.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit