Baptismal Q`S asked in the year 1960 ,anyone ? Contrasted to what Q`s they ask now

by smiddy3 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m just curious as to what /who I dedicated/baptized my life to in 1960 compared to who or what J.W.`s are being baptized/dedicating their life into this present day ?

And what scenarios this could lead into ? if any ? Would my baptism still be valid ? and should it be ?

If they can move the goalposts after I have made my baptism/dedication, do I not have the same courtesy to reneg my baptism ? because of what they now claim I never accepted that definition or understanding.?

If the JW/WT can change the wording of the baptismal questions ,cant I then challenge the validity of my baptism when I made it? If not why not ?

• alanv
    alanv

I too was baptised in the 1960s and at that time there was no mention of working with the organisation. The questions were purely about God and Christ, and how you feel about them. The questions were changed in the 1980s to get an agreement from the JW that they would work along with the org. Therefor those who were baptised before those new questions are under no obligation whatsoever to work along with the org, because they never agreed to that.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" 17 The first question is: Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

18 The second question is: On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit? "

I believe these were the Questions in the early '60's.

• waton
    waton

Therefore someone baptized that early could never be accused of apostasy, because she might feel she is duty - bound to uphold the truth about the truth.

During those earlier baptism talks it was often stressed that " you have not dedicated your life to a particular work, nor to an organisation !"

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

I was dipped in 62..age 14. One of my co-dippees told me there were 2 questions..and I had to shout NO. Still went ahead though. Me..5 other kids same age in the Cong..and my dad.

• Earnest
    Earnest

In The Watchtower, October 1, 1942, p.302 the questions were :

1) Do you believe in Jehovah God the Father, that "salvation belongeth unto Jehovah", and that Christ Jesus is his Son in whose blood your sins are washed away and by whom salvation comes to you from God ?

2) Have you therefore confessed your sins to God and asked for cleansing by Christ Jesus, and therefore turned away from sin and the world, and consecrated yourself without reservation to God to do his will ?

In The Watchtower, July 1, 1956, p.407 the questions were :

1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him the Father through his Son Jesus Christ ?

2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightenment of the holy spirit ?

In The Watchtower, June 1, 1985, p.30 the questions were

1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will ?

2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization ?

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Baptism questions today: Do you have a pulse?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Baptism questions today: Do you have a pulse?"

That is just question 1, question 2 is :

" Do you know how to donate regularly ? "

• compound complex
    compound complex

At first glance, I was thinking of preparatory questions between the Bible teacher and/or a congregation servant (pre-elder arrangement) before the big day.

When I was at Bethel, late '60s, early '70s, a particular use of Your Word Is a Lamp to My Foot was announced to the family by Brother Knorr himself. The questions therein -- I believe this was a first -- would provide a means to determine the prospective JW's knowledge of the Bible prior to baptism. I recall his saying it would help stop ones coming in through the front door and going out the back.

So, then, having a thorough knowledge of The Truth precludes one's leaving?

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, baptismal questions since the 1980s have been increasingly linking obedience to Jehovah and Jehovah's organization. For "legal" reasons this means means the organization is on firmer ground in making disciplinary distinctions between unbaptized and baptized individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit