Cost of Attending the International Conventions

by RubaDub 15 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have never been invited/requested/applied to any International Convention, other than it happening to be our own convention in New York City where we were already assigned (I think back and maybe this happened two times or so when I was growing up).

Anyway, people here keep commenting about the cost to attend; the inflated airfares, rooms, transportation, etc.

Does anyone have some actual numbers to provide? I realize that the cost of attending a convention in a different country will be affected by some variations in airfare from the departure city but generally how much do these things cost? Are they comparable to a tour from an Expedia, Travelocity or other travel site?

Rub a Dub

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Good question. And as I asked in another thread, are they having more of them? Could be a cash-cow. No sense trying to get money from poor JWs.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I believe this smells of another Watchtower boondoggle pitched to the more affluent JWs, in which they skim off the airfares, hotel accommodations, etc. and prod the locals at the various destinations to provide entertainment, tours, souvenir trinkets, etc.

Or am I too cynical? And what's to prevent anyone from simply booking their own trip and showing up at the convention?

• HiddenPimo
    HiddenPimo

It’s about 3-6 thousand USD per person

you have to use their hotels and they are ridiculously high (I travel internationally for work and know the costs are inflated)

Mandatory contributions for meals and tours (highly suggested contribution amount)

in the USA I heard from a person who had family in that they review your contributions now electronically to see if you are donating a high enough amount to be considered worthy to be invited.

Being from South Carolina not once approved to go to Atlanta or any other ones.

Its a-huge money making scheme..

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

And what's to prevent anyone from simply booking their own trip and showing up at the convention?

Room 215 ...

Absolutely nothing. Face it, over 99% of the people attending an "International Convention" are just the people who would be going anyway, those whose congregations are assigned there.

Of course some are the locals who volunteer with the tours, entertainment, coordinate local activities, etc.

But it's just that 1% who actually are the ones "invited" as delegates (I guess they still call them delegates).

Rub a Dub

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    what's to prevent anyone from simply booking their own trip and showing up at the convention?

Someone is already booked flights, hotels n all to do this! I am super excited to see how it pans out. By the way it is not me, I cant afford such luxuries.

Zing

• sir82
    sir82

in the USA I heard from a person who had family in that they review your contributions now electronically to see

if you are donating a high enough amount to be considered worthy to be invited.

First I've heard of this.

Is there really that high a percentage of people who exclusively donate via jw.borg, rather than the "old fashioned way" (drop your cash or a check in the KH contribution box)?

I'd have to guess that most folks still do it the old fashioned way, which would make the "review your contributions electronically" a pretty poor measure.

• blondie
    blondie

Cash is more confidential. The accounts servant sees checks, and if your donation is over $250 in cash in the US, a taxpayer is required to get a special form from the congregation for IRS tax purposes. Soon cash will not be used per some news stories; I hardly use cash myself, though I make sure we have some for those stores/individuals who do not accept credit cards.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Well,

Here in Oz this week, a letter was read out that no eftpos facilities would be available at any hired convention venues effective immediately. (Australia wide)

As of 2020 no eftpos facilities would be available at circuit assemblies at assembly halls.

Then a massive 'encouragement' to log in to set up individual direct debit donations to your relevant circuit assembly via the jworg site. "Please see the appointed brother or an elder for help to set this log-in up"

Sounds to me that the individual monitoring of 'tithes' is not too far away as suggested by some on this site a while ago.

jtg

• zeb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit