Advanced Warning I - WT August 2016 "Study" articles re "Reaching Out"

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

The brief outline for this item makes reference to the most recent WT on the subject of "reaching out" (August 2016 - pages 20 - 29) If you are a Jehovah's Witness and thinking about becoming a Ministerial Servant or Elder, then please consider the following information prior to attending the KH for this week’s WT “Study” and the week after.

First - if you hope to become an elder, in the UK you will also become a charitable trustee. You will not be given any training for this part of your role. Your details will be sent to the Charity Commission. As an elder and charitable trustee, you might at some time be unable to agree with the BoE on a matter. Nevertheless, the WTBTS expects you to acquiesce with the majority. Yet you will be legally held responsible for your individual decision as a trustee.

Second - if you hope to become an elder, you will likely be given copious assignments and become very busy. You are expected to be yielding and accept these assignments - even if it means that you have to sacrifice time with your family (time which you cannot recover). You will also be expected to attend elders' schools. One such school not that long ago included a video of elders visiting a sister who was suicidal. Whilst elders are acknowledged to be health professionals, yet what I saw on that video was not realistic, not competent, and likely to be psychologically damaging to an individual in genuine distress. It was significant, that those who compiled this video with the intention of instructing elders, did not at any time consult any health professionals as to helpful approaches. This video was also shown earlier in 2016 at a CLAM.

Third - you will be given a copy of the elders' secret book (Shepherd the Flock of God) and will be expected to keep this secret from your wife and family members. You might find the contents of this book to be surprisingly generous with rules and scarce in spirituality.

Fourth - the WTBTS / GBoJW portrays being appointed as an elder as a "privilege". This word is used a lot in "the truth" but for an alternative etymological consideration of the word and its use (some would say overuse) then consider visiting this site which explores the question - "Are We Privileged"?.... http://perimeno.ca/Are_We_Privileged.htm

A previous WT article on the matter of reaching out stated: "satisfying the Scriptural requirements falls primarily on the individual who is reaching out." This rather suggests that once you have reasonably met the scriptural requirements, you will be appointed. However, the article does not give any mention of existing elders' subjectivity in looking at non-scriptural qualifications such as your ministry hours. Elders may have other qualifications which they expect you to meet without any scriptural justification / reference.

Fifth - you don't really have to reach out to me a ministerial servant or an elder to lead a full Christian life pleasing to almighty God. For example, the WT of Sept 2014 stated - "If you serve Jehovah faithfully wherever you are and whatever you do, you are a success.” That's a nice encouraging thought. In a WT study going further back in time (Nov 2011 = “Train Others to Reach Out”), a similar positive thought was expressed - "Of course, a brother does not have to be a ministerial servant or an elder in order to help others and have a full share in the ministry."

For many elders already in post they are quite busy chaps as has been already mentioned. Indeed many become stressed such is the combined workload of their secular occupation, family commitments, and WT expectations. It is not uncommon for males who become elders to experience a significant amount of stress in consequence. This can affect relationships. It can lead to elders projecting their stresses onto others unconsciously. Some even project their stresses from the lectern during speaking assignments. Yet this is not necessary and is entirely preventable. The Awake of June 2010 featured three articles about stress. In one such article the following sage advice was given....

"God expects us humbly to acknowledge that we have physical, mental, and emotional limits and that we cannot do everything we would like to do. As difficult as this can be, we may need to learn when and how to say no to demands that exceed what we realistically can handle." (AW - June 2010. "Keeping Stress Under Control" page 9).

Sixth - you may be shocked at the divergence between BoE's as portrayed in WT literature and the reality. BoE seldom use scripture at their elder's meetings as depicted. There tends to be a lot of politicking with eventual deference being shown to the elder with the strongest personality. This was my experience anyway, and many ex-elders have written blogs indicative of a similar reality in their experience. However, if you still want to be appointed as an elder, consider getting third party liability insurance to protect yourself, your family, and your estate.

• zeb
    zeb

"These Jehovah witness elders are shown themselves to be woefully ignorant of standard practices in the real world, seriously unprepared for the hearings, completely lacking in compassion for the victim and untrained to be real shepherds and all have consistently poor memories."

Australian Royal Commission.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Good to know just in case I want to become a ministerial overseer

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi zeb!

"These Jehovah witness elders are shown themselves to be woefully ignorant of standard practices in the real world, seriously unprepared for the hearings, completely lacking in compassion for the victim and untrained to be real shepherds and all have consistently poor memories."

Australian Royal Commission.

all the ARC stuff is online isn't it, I've looked, but can't find the above quote - where did you find it?

Was it said by the ARC Chair, or in one of the submissions / statements made at the ARC, rather than by the ARC?

I'm not disagreeing with the quote, just wondering with how it's presented

TIA

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And you are supposed to be exemplary. Not just "in good standing", but "exemplary". This means that if you are doing something that could have the slightest chance of stumbling someone, you have to stop doing that. So you like those new LED light bulbs better than those squiggly things? But, someone might think of it as a showy display of one's means of life, never mind they are now getting as cheap as squiggly things and will probably outlast them (and not burn your house down). You want a couple of silver Eagles? That could stumble someone, even if they are well hidden--so don't get them.

You also don't get any privacy. Anyone in the congregation could somehow go through everything you have--and you have little recourse if it turns up missing. Worse, they might find a copy of a song they might find a trifle "bad", and be "stumbled". That means you have to throw away that song, even in the depths of your MP3 player.

The congregation is running low on funds this month? Guess who is going to have to make up the difference. And, let the hounder-hounder even think you have a couple of silver dimes, let alone a stack of Australian Kookaburras, and you will be relieved of them when the dollar becomes toilet paper and they need those for the Worldwide Damnation Fund.

All that work for those extra rules? I think I would rather commit a sin. On purpose.

• Saename
    Saename

darkspliver, I believe this quote is from the video recordings of the investigation. You can find the videos on Youtube, but I don't know on which day it was said, assuming that it was said, of course.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi Saename

darkspliver, I believe this quote is from the video recordings of the investigation. You can find the videos on Youtube, but I don't know on which day it was said, assuming that it was said, of course.

Thanks, yeah, the video recordings are all transcribed and available on the ARC's website - therefore I've already tried doing a key word search, but nothing turns up :( - that's why I was asking ;)

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/case-study/636f01a5-50db-4b59-a35e-a24ae07fb0ad/case-study-29,-july-2015,-sydney.aspx

• Saename
    Saename

Okay. I thought this was the source of the quote. I was obviously mistaken, though this quote still sounds familiar to me. I guess we'll have to wait for zeb to answer.

• Landy
    Landy

First - if you hope to become an elder, in the UK you will also become a charitable trustee. You will not be given any training for this part of your role. Your details will be sent to the Charity Commission. As an elder and charitable trustee, you might at some time be unable to agree with the BoE on a matter. Nevertheless, the WTBTS expects you to acquiesce with the majority. Yet you will be legally held responsible for your individual decision as a trustee.

Is it now mandatory that you have to become a trustee on appointment to an elder?

What if you can't become a trustee*, would that also prevent you from ever becoming an elder?

*Undischarged bankrupt or an IVA/Criminal conviction involving dishonesty/Disqualified as company director

• Damascus
    Damascus

JWs Have Their Own Legal System – But Not in Finland | Barbara ...

watchtowerdocuments.org/jws-have-their-own-legal-system/
    4 days ago - There are facts and secrets about Jehovah's Witnesses not commonly ... to appear before a “Committee of Elders” for a “Judicial Hearing” – that means that .... be woefully ignorant of standard practices in the real world seriously unprepared ... to be real shepherds'; and all have consistently poor memories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit