Why it's good to discuss politics (but if you don't want to, you don't have to)

by LoveUniHateExams 27 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I was reading through this site the other day and came across several posts by different posters lamenting this site, saying what a shame it has gone from debating JW believers to talking politics and current affairs.

There are a few issues I have with these kind of posts.

First, discussing politics is actually a good thing. Why? Well, in case you haven't noticed, we in the West are going through a culture war. Certain groups of far-Leftists are trying - and sometimes succeeding - to shut down free discussion. This is seriously eroding free speech. This site should actually be applauded - I have read and participated in a great many discussions of very difficult topics.

Also, as most of us are ex-JWs, discussing politics and casting votes should be encouraged. You can vote for whichever party in your country and your vote will be equal to anyone else's. This is a beautiful thing. It means schmoes like me and you have a say in whoever will run the country you live in.

Of course, if you are a forum member who doesn't like politics, you don't have to read or comment on political threads.

And one last thing that I think is worth keeping in mind: this site is still a refuge for many people trapped in the org or who are just waking up for the first time.

• minimus
    minimus

πŸ‘πŸ‘

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i dont understand US politics.

(Does anybody ?)

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I asked on here a while ago what this disdained word "liberal" means in political context. Genuine quesiton.

Just asking that resulted in downvotes.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5741464981078016/lloyd-evans-exploitation-videos

Now I have the term "far-Leftists" to try and decypher.

Left, Far-left, Liberal? What are we referring to?

What are we calling people who believe in equality and live and let live attittude? Is there a box for me?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What are we calling people who believe in equality and live and let live attittude? Is there a box for me? - yes, you're a liberal in the traditional sense.

Problem is, liberals have been hijacked by far-Leftists.

Now I have the term "far-Leftists" to try and decipher - just watch the following vid. I'm sure you'll get the idea of what 'far-Leftist' means ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8katyjc9Q

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

You would be a libertarian

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

The real issue is not discussing anything but that the left now tells people who do not believe as they do they are not entitled to their opinions. Just look at how they chase anyone they don't like off campus burn and loot when they hear something they don't like Like spoiled little brats.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

What makes this arrest illegal?

• minimus
    minimus

I have a good friend that just put on Facebook he supports Biden. I wrote in, I still like you! πŸ˜‰... we can have friendships with liberals and independents and conservatives. The people you can’t get along with are the crazies from any party.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

All things with moderation. JWs are not to take part in politics as part of their alienation from the world. You should care about politics to a certain degree. We have Indeed a cultural war. People are getting shunned and exposed to berufsverbot or worse for expressing non PC views. Here in Europe, expressing you like even some of Trump's politics, could cost you your job

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit