Hourly vs Salary which is better?

by hoser 20 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I am hourly. What are the pros and cons of hourly or salary?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

With salary, you usually do not get extra pay if you work longer. Hence, you will be expected to stay later, come in earlier, or come on your day off before anyone else. Also, you may be asked to work off the clock, even if company policy is no working off the clock. You go into a place to shop, you may find yourself working.

As for bonuses, companies have ways to stiff salaried workers out of them. Usually, it is some lame "Your performance is just below the level for a bonus". Or your store is not doing "quite enough sales", or something like that. True, they dangle big bonuses in front of people to lure them into these positions of being enslaved. However, I do not recommend salary unless you are part owner of the company or business.

• just fine
    just fine

I have been salaried for nearly 20 years. I like it because it offers more flexibility. I don't have to take sick or vacation if I need to take care of something during work hours. I get a sizable bonus every year and starting 4 years ago I get thousands of stock options every year. I do work more than 40 hours most weeks, but the flexibility makes up for it. I work for a great company and that makes a difference.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Whatever pays you the most

• baker
    baker

As an hourly worker, I have filled in for vacationing managers and you do have more responsibility, but you are on the honor system. If you are running everything smoothly, it wasn't uncommon to be the manager from the 14th tee! Great perks.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think it depends on what kind of job you're doing.

If you're doing something quantifiable, then hourly is best.

• hoser
    hoser

I have been averageing 20 hours per week overtime paid to me at 1 and 1/2 times regular pay. When I work stat holidays I get paid for the day plus 1 1/2 pay which works out to double time and half.

Plus I get paid for February 29th every 4 years.

If I was to convert to salary it would have to make up for the extras I do somehow.

• hoser
    hoser

I am just wondering if I went on a salary for the money that I make in a year if I could get away with working less hours.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

It depends. If you are in the USA, in some places where you are paid a salary you are expected to never leave at 5pm, and you should be available at any time, day, night or weekend, when they need you. In some other places (like the one I work now) they are more accommodating (seems like some companies are finally getting that people are valuable) and it may be necessary at times, but not regularly.

Hourly salaries exist in USA up to some point; at a given pay rate they don't pay by the hour.

It really depends on the approach and level of exploitation that your employer has.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I'm with scratchme, you need to look at the company that's offering it. Some company's it maybe a better option to be on salary others they'll work you to death and when you add up all the hours you work you'll find your making way less per hour then the lowest paid hourly person working at the company.

I remember back after the 08 crash, companies were laying off people and making the ones they kept work salary. Then the worker would have to work the jobs of three people. Long hours weekends etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit