Are witnesses intellectual showoffs?

by JH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

The terms Jehovah's Witnesses and intellectual showoffs should never go in the same sentence. You see, to be an intellectual showoff, you would have to possess something resembling a brain.

Although Jehovah's Witnesses think they are superior to all other people because some geriatric wannabe prophets who cannot even change their own diapers say so, Dubs have not even figured out that they belong to a cult which continually feeds them regurgitated BS in literature peddled to make men in Brooklyn money.

I hate Jehovah's Witnesses.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    I hate Jehovah's Witnesses.

Reborn2002 - My sentiments exactly!

• Introspection
    Introspection

There's a difference between showing off what you've read and showing off what you understand, the former can be done by anyone quoting something someone else wrote, (much like the little tidbits found in the Awake!) the latter actually requires some kind of comprehension.

Sometimes it does appear that people either feel good about themselves by the vain use of verbiage, or they look up to others who do this because they seem to know what they're talking about. Now of course, someone who happens to use big words may just have a larger vocabulary and know how to use them, but my guess is most people will give it more merit and consider the person more intelligent simply because it sounds better, whereas another person making the same points or perhaps an even better argument won't be given as much consideration because they happen to go about it in down to earth everyday speech. It's basically putting a suit and tie on your words - it's fine to look nice, but only fools think what's behind the clothing is any different.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think most dubs are of the "mental permafrost" (cheesiest WT illustration ever) variety, and would be absolutely at a loss to try to defend their beliefs on this forum.

There are a few that pride themselves on their intelligence. For a number of years I associated with a very pompous and arrogant elder who is a legend in my area for being a fearless and incredibly cocky defender of the WT. He didn't make a big secret of his having read Franz's books, he viewed it as a test from Satan that he passed with flying colors. (He and Satan were constantly battling LOL).

He'd get toasted on this board though, just like they all do.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

it's appearance. but a robot in disguise!!!

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

My mother told me that chemo does not help cancer stop; it actually makes the tumor grow! She was told this by a witness and decided it is gospel-she told me that if I ever get cancer I should not get chemo because the tumor will grow. Actually chemo kills cells that do not stay in the G-0 stage of the cell cycle very long (the so called fast growing cells) but it can cause other cancers to develop (the so-called secondary cancer). Also, when the primary tumor is destroyed, the secondary tumors usually grow faster because the primary tumor releases a factor that inhibits the secondary tumors (and when destroyed it can no longer do this). It gets complex. The solution is prevention. Diet (low trans fat, low saturated fat) high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and poly/mono unsaturated fats is a key that we can control.

• Realist
    Realist
    Are witnesses intellectual showoffs?

they are intellectual midgets!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Like others have said I don't feel that the Witness arrogance has anything to do with intelligence. In fact it is probably due to a dumbing-down of the thought process; they are arrogant simply because they don't know any better. And as far as the Awake, Freedom96 was right, it's simply a bait-and-switch. Francois wrote:

"I have a set of personal internally inconsistent words that shut me down immediately. Mine are any sentence that contain both the words/phrases "you" (meaning me) and "yard work." For whatever reason, the strategic placement of these words in the same sentence is oddly missing any meaning to me at all; they do not excite any form of intellectual recognition, and I have told my wife-mate never to use these meaningless words/phrases in the same sentence as she would likely get no response except perhaps a vaguely puzzled facial expression. You know what I mean?"

LOL Who ever drew this cartoon must have known you Francois:

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

My experience with many has been more of a 'self-righteous' attitude. The word wrong and forgive me is not in their vocabulary. They always come up with an 'excuse' for their misconduct. Accepting any type of blame is out of the question. Pretentious? Yes!

Guest 77

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I wouldn't call them intellectual showoffs.....more like intellectual snotnoses. In fact, intellectual is not the way I'd describe them at all, since all they do is spout out the latest Watchtower nonsense.

I was in a conversation with my wife and she just couldn't get past the thought that you should be doing something simply because it's the right thing to do and not because it's what the soceity "said" to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit