Are witnesses intellectual showoffs?

by JH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

The Jehovah Witnesses are a religion, and that's what they should talk about. Why do they have to talk about so much more than religion. After all, they aren't doctors or engineers, chemists, they are bible students.

I never understood why they published the Awake magazine. It talks about everything but the bible. You will find scientific, medical, mechanical, electrical, all kinds of subjects that they DON'T specialize in.

Just like Spiceitup said in her thread, the Witnesses think they know everything on every subject.

Do you feel that the witnesses are like showoffs, wanting to win every discussion on every topic, even if it ain't biblical?

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, there certainly are!

One I can think of is Butterknife Of Jah - comes across as very arrogant. Many JW's do love a good argument, b/c they have the "truth" burned in their brain. That's what happens of years and years of hearing the same old stuff.

• JH
    JH

The elders even act like psychologists when a member has a problem. These men don't even have a college degree and they act like professionals.

They even build their local halls and assembly halls.

I think that they are showoffs.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

ONLY AMONGST THEMSELVES !

Put a jw out amongst the " wolves of the world " and they'll be chopped up faster than raw fish at the Japanese " Ichiban " restaurant.! been there, done that.............so humiliating.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Intellectual showoffs is a big leap. Most dubs are braindead idiots, who follow their masters in Brooklyn.

: Do you feel that the witnesses are like showoffs, wanting to win every discussion on every topic, even if it ain't biblical?

Dubs consider it a "win" when they change the subject and then vilifiy their opponent (messenger) for not dealing with the subject they changed.

They are as predictible as rain in Vietnam, and it doesn't get more predictible than that, folks.

Farkel

• rocketman
    rocketman

Kind of - they like to point to their printing facilties and computerization of their system and stuff like that.

And occasionally, one does meet the individual dub who thinks he can run circles around any one in a bible dicsussion.

• Francois
    Francois

Somehow using the words "witnesses" and "intellectual" in the same sentence strikes a sour note in the music-like scale of the intellect. It is so internally inconsistent as to be laughable, sort of like "business ethics" and other such impossible concepts.

I have a set of personal internally inconsistent words that shut me down immediately. Mine are any sentence that contain both the words/phrases "you" (meaning me) and "yard work." For whatever reason, the strategic placement of these words in the same sentence is oddly missing any meaning to me at all; they do not excite any form of intellectual recognition, and I have told my wife-mate never to use these meaningless words/phrases in the same sentence as she would likely get no response except perhaps a vaguely puzzled facial expression. You know what I mean?

Actually, I can't find any JW who is willing to even discuss their religion with me. My uncle, an organic research chemist at Eastman Chemicals, said to me once when I was a good little dubbie, "There's not a preacher or priest on this planet who could even stay in the same room with me in a religious debate." Well. After I walked away from the Dubs without so much as a "kiss my ass," he refused to debate the JWs with me, even after I reminded him of his hubris-filled remark of several years previous.

This all leads me to believe that JWs are intellectual frauds. They are all mouth and no substance. When the going gets tough, the JWs get going...out the nearest exit.

I've done this before with no result, but I'll try it again.

To any and/or all JWs lurking at this site. I will be happy to debate with you live on any reasonably located stage at any reasonable time the resolution: "The organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is a religious cult." This is to be in the classic collegiate debate format, duration of arguments to be decided at a later time. I will deliver the first affirmative. ANY TAKERS? I would prefer to debate the governing body and all 57 WT attornies, but they have refused to respond to any of my previous offers, so now I'm lowering my sights. Now let's see who really thinks that Jehovah will provide the right words at the right time for their argument? Shold we wager on the outcome? Now let's see if the JWs are convinced about how "right" they are. And we'll need someone to judge the outcome even though it should be obvious to any cretin.

francois

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Yes, JW's are self-rightous, pompous, arrogant, close-minded, intellectual showoffs.

• freedom96
    freedom96

The Awake is simply there to show to the householder and maybe there is an article that they are interested in. Simply a bait and switch. Once they are interested, then they are shown the real spiritual meat by reading the other materials.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    witnesses intellectual showoffs

That is an oxymoron ()

My mother told me that chemo does not help cancer stop; it actually makes the tumor grow! She was told this by a witness and decided it is gospel-she told me that if I ever get cancer I should not get chemo because the tumor will grow.

I know I have implied my mother is an idiot; this proves it. BTW, she is an ardent dub.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit