Why Are You Here?

by Believer 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm here because this is the only group of people that I've found that can completely understand how I feel and what I'm going through as a result of learning TTATT. They have walked this same path. "Outsiders" just can't "get it". Even professional counselors just don't get it.

Additionally, most of the people here are quick-witted, humorous, well-informed, and in my assessment, just "smarter than the average bear". Sure some are opinionated. A few may even have their own "agenda" for posting here, but for the most part, they are just a good group of people (as are most R&F JWs) who needed help to recover when they discovered TTATT. Many have benefited and moved on, but many stayed here for the camaraderie as well as to try to help the next group that stumbles upon TTATT.

Sure there are varying ideas on subjects (including atheism, deism, etc) but you don't have to agree with everything any particular individual says. It's a buffet. Take what you want and leave the rest. I think many are still programed to the JW "unity at all costs" where everyone must agree on everything. The real world just is not like that. Get used to it.

Doc

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I am here to serve you.

Would you like some atheism with that?

"When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning? - THE WATCHTOWER January 15,1974"

• DJS
    DJS

Believer wouldn't be here either if this site was dominated by Hindus, Muslims and Jews. She is only here because she thinks she has some x-tian based bible learnin' that she can wow us all with.

Not a chance in hell Believer would stick around if the site didn't favor her particular gods. She was looking for an opening to preach and amaze. How did that work out for you, Believer? The truth stings a bit, doesn't it.

• sparky1
    sparky1

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

The question if taken at face value is a legitimate one. My answer is as follows:

I AM HERE TO LEARN!

I was 'blessed' (can't think of another term to use) with a fairly high IQ, a strong intellect and a fairly quick wit. Of course, I am not as smart sometimes as I like to think I am. It is unbelievable to me how much I am learning from many of the posters here. There are so many intellectually gifted people here that I am blown away by what they know and have learned in their lives. The collective knowledge here is priceless. Also, I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and never knew anything else. To read other peoples stories who have been raised as Witnesses or converted later in life just helps me gain more and more empathy for the human condition. No disrespect to Believer or any true believers that post here, but I do not come here to get re-immersed in any form of 'religious' thinking whatsoever. As a young boy my motto was: You can learn something from everyone. I intend to keep that motto as I interact with some posters here or just read through different topics.

• Believer
    Believer

She? Okay.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Casandra on the weekends, Dave in the week? Who cares?

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

This forum is the most appropriate part of the atmosphere for me to express my experiences with the WT cult, as well as my opinions and emotions regarding the subject.

Recovery from nearly 30 years of mental control and programming is not easy. It doesn't just happen when you decide to walk away. So this kind of listening and feedback is extremely helpful in healing and learning to think for one's self again.

Nobody has time to listen to me drone on about all the different things that happened to my family and me as members of the WT cult. But in this arrangement online I can tune in when it's convenient and write what I want to say.

I'm not worried about being here too much or whether I should be moving on "by now." Recovery takes however long it takes. I don't see myself ever getting over the damage, but participating in this conversation zone gives a lot of comfort.

Marina

• Twitch
    Twitch

Why Are You Here?

A very subjective question....

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Why should believers leave just because not everyone here is also a believer? We talk about many subjects, most of them not related to belief in God. As ex JWs we all have a lot of things of mutual interest, so why wouldn't you just engage in those threads? Is everything an atheist says somehow tainted because we don't believe in God? Is your faith so weak that you will lose it if someone challenges your thinking?

As a believer you have many choices. You could simply avoid threads that discuss whether God exists, or you could read those threads with an open mind and not participate, or you can choose to debate your belief in God. It's entirely up to you. So why leave and miss out on the things that are offered here just because not everyone believe the same as you?

Personally I enjoy talking with everyone, believer or not. If I wanted to just be with people who all believe the same thing as I do I would have just stayed a JW.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If I wanted to just be with people who all believe the same thing as I do I would have just stayed a JW.~ Lisa Rose

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto! Isn't it time to realize that it's it OK to "disagree". (You know what they say about opinions.......)

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit