Birthdays

by Mufasa 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You ask the question, Why?

The basic answer is that the JWs are obedient to the Governing Body who have decided that such celebration is "displeasing to Jehovah" They will say that anytime they are mentioned in the Bible ir is in a bad light. E g. HEROD when Salome danced for the Head of John the Baptist.

There is no specific Biblical verse that says not to do it. The history of their belief goes back to the past President of the movement JF Rutherford who has a record of laying down rules based on his opinions. There is a lot to discuss about him should you wish.

To the rational outsider it makes no sense at all

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I second BluesBrother. Everything in Jehovah's Witnesses comes down to what the Governing Body says. If they decided tomorrow that birthdays should be celebrated, JWs would be on that shit immediately.

• dozy
    dozy

With regard to the poster's initial question , there is some irony that the Society condemn "Christendom" and "Worldly" ( ie all non JW ) sources of wisdom , yet see no problem in quoting church scholars or academic sources as authorities when it pleases them. These quotes often tend to be cherrypicked - particularly evident in references ( quite often misquoted or out of context ) in creation / evolution or doctrinal matters such as the Trinity.

Regarding birthdays , from my experience and many private conversations with JWs over 40 years , a lot of JWs , especially those with young children , in reality aren't really comfortable with the Societies teaching and many skirt or blur the prohibition in various ways. I remember an elder in my congregation annually inviting my own kids to a childs party which "coincidentally" was always about one week after his daughter's birthday - it had cake , presents and essentially was her birthday party but just held a few days later.

For an interesting analysis of the Society birthday prohibition , see https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/birthdays.php

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit