Birthdays

by Mufasa 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mufasa
    Mufasa

I have an honest question, so I hope someone will explain this to me to the best of their ability. I'm fascinated with learning about religion! And I've been looking for a place to ask this, believe me it wasn't an easy find. Ok here goes, Birthdays are not celebrated because of what it says in "Funk & Wagnall" and what it says in the book "The lore of birthdays, and what was concidered ancient mythology, If most not all practices and beliefs are taken straight from bible scripture and acted with accordance with what is said in the bible, why is this one so heavily relient on what comes from other sources?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

You ask a rational question that is answered by the Watchtower in nonsensical feats of mental gymnastics.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

JWs will tell you that in every instance birthdays are mentioned in scripture somebody gets beheaded or the roof caves in on them etc.

I have heard a seasoned Witness tell me that birthdays focus undue attention on individuals instead of Jehovah.

The truth probably is that they want Witnesses to be separate from the world and look holier than others.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Celebrating a person instead of Jesus or God

I thin. k some things were picked just to cause controversy

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

All the things I missed growing up in an evil cult. I will tell anyone who will listen how evil this cult is. Never stop talking to people about this cult and the damage it does to family's.

• Lightgrowsbrighter
    Lightgrowsbrighter

Job 1:4 is translated 'his own set day' in many translations, referencing banquets Jobs sons would have. But the same exact Hebrew word in Job 3:1 is translated 'the day of his birth', even in the NWT.

JW's do talk about undue attention given to individuals, but will celebrate anniversary's and even have parties for boys going off to 'Bethel'. What's the difference? The fact that there are two instances where wicked people asked for macabre birthday presents doesn't mean that all birthday celebrations are an evil event.

Like so many other things, personal decisions- like the celebrations of birthdays- are turned into organizational edicts by JW's.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

JW`s just want to be different from other xian religions.

• Mufasa
    Mufasa

Thank you lightgrowsbrighter and vanderhoven7 those honest answers make sense to me.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome to the forum Mufasa this is a good place to be.

• alanv
    alanv

The main reason why JWs avoid nearly all celebrations, is so they can be kept separated from non witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit