Hearing voices, not always caused by demons.

by lancelink 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lancelink
    lancelink

My wife and I for the past three months have been caring for a teenage girl who was abused by her parents. She stole a car to get away, and living in prison was a welcome relief for her. She was in prison for four years, and the state was going to release her, but she would not go back home.

A co-worker teacher that my wife knows told us the situation, and we agreed o help the girl get back on her feet.

Well, she dealt with abuse from all aspects 😔, and is pretty messed up in the head from all of that.

but by being in our home, she was safe and was learning how to deal with her problems. But over the past two months she started hearing voices, they were telling her how worthless she was.

enter social workers, psychologists, and therapists. It seems that voices are caused from past abuse, and it is a very real mental condition that is being treated now by drugs.

i was thinking last night that if we were still witnesses, she probably would have been asked to leave, based on the religions view of voices. Or else she needed a bible study.

I find it amazing how things that the witnesses are terrified by, can actually be a mental cry for help.

i hang my head in total shame for treating people years ago like they were possessed by demons, when in reality they just needed a listening ear and medical help.

• Simon
    Simon

or more accurately "never caused by demons"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In reality hearing voices is never caused by demons.

Religious beliefs have many times shown to be immersed and structured in human ignorance.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I kind of see it in a Jungian perspective, as proddings from unconscious, due to the sever abuse a trained psychologist is needed.

Watchtower corporation has a very bad record of heap more abuse on the sufferer to appease their jealous Jehovah and their infantile view of the world.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Much respect to you both for helping her get established in life!

Your kindly display of love would put many Christians and Witnesses to shame!

much love!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Auditory hallucinations are by no means a form of paranormal possession. This 14th Century phobia of the demons that Witnesses have is stupefying. Even before I was awake, I never bought the whole "demonic attacks" thing. I know too much about hypnopompic hallucinations and sleep paralysis than to conclude that "shaking beds" and "being restrained by an invisible force in bed" is the result of the Harry Potter book on the shelf. FFS.

• tiki
    tiki

Poor girl and my admiration for you to take her on. That is true compassion and love for fellow man. You guys are awesome. I hope she heals completely and goes on to have a great life!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

First, all the credit and praise in the world to you and the Mrs for helping this young lady.

Also x2 what simon and fink said. Its never demons. Its also never god.

As a side note auditory hallucinations are far more common than most people realize. Hearing voices is on the extreme end but a great many people hear things that are not real. Often its a framiler noise or a noise that your brain expects to hear at particular place or point in time and your brain, in expectation, fills the noise in even if it dosent actually occur.

People with cochlear implants report on the phenomenon. If they hear a song they knew before they experianced hearing loss they hear song in full detail. If its a "new" piece of music. One they wernt framiler with prior to hearing loss, then they hear it only through the limited ablity of the inplant to transmit the sound. Hearing the music in its full detail is a form of auditory hallucination, albeit a desirable one.

in any event, a long rambling post to simply say that these events are not at all rare or demon insipred. And again, well done by you and the wife for offering help!

• lancelink
    lancelink
    Thank you very much for your comments, and esp. For pointing out that they're NOT caused by demons.
    that was a perfect example of the religion still having "splinters in my mind" 😜

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

When I'm in a paranoid mood, I find myself suspecting that one of the main reasons fundy churches are so suspicious of psychiatric medicine is specifically because they explained "hearing voices" as medical - rather than demonic - in origin, thus lessening the fear of the supernatural (a very useful tool) in their membership.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit