JW Literature Trolleys Don't Carry the Book Of Mormon

by Athanasius 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

This morning the JWs set up two literature trolleys at our local shopping centre. The trolleys were situated within 20 feet of each other with six JWs attending them. Why they needed six JWs on hand I have no idea as everyone was ignoring them.

Anyway I thought I'd have some fun. So I approached one of the trolleys and gave the appearance of being interested. This trolley was attended by two middle aged women and an older white haired woman. One of the younger women said: "Good morning."

So I asked her if they had the Book of Mormon. Her answer was a little surprising by what she failed to say. She answered saying: "No, but we have the Bible."

What surprised me was the fact that she didn't make it clear that they were JWs and not LDS. Perhaps the new strategy is to let the inquirer think they are something else so as not to scare him away. So then she hands me the gray revised NWT. I examine it briefly and say: "Do you have the larger edition, like the one that the guy on JW Survey has in his library? You know, the one just to his right on the shelf behind him?"

Then she says: "Yes, I know what you mean. But we don't have it with us this morning, but I can get a copy and have it here next week if you want to stop by."

I thanked her and said I might be by next week if I'm not working. Then I walked off and did my shopping.

I may be wrong, but I left with the impression that this woman may be catching John Ceders show on the net.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I may be wrong, but I left with the impression that this woman may be catching John Ceders show on the net.

I think you're reading too much into her statement. I think she just meant that she was familiar with the Large Print Edition...................JMHO..................DOC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I agree with D.O.C. . Further, I hope you took the gray Bible and asked for the larger one. Then I would have thrown it away, and the larger one later, too.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I wouldn't take literature and simply throw it away. Some JW feel personally responsible for these and give contributions out of their own pockets when they don't receive any. In the end, only the poor individual gets shafted, not the watchtower.

• Wayward
    Wayward

I saw a JW booth at a fair last week. The first couple times hubby and I passed it, he didn't know what it was for. I only knew because I recognized the JWs behind the table. The next night we were able to take a longer look. There was a banner on the front of the table BUT the JW.org was in really little lettering. That was the only clue as to who they were.

And there weren't any Bibles out. Maybe they were under the counter?

• DNCall
    DNCall

StephaneLaliberte: In the end, only the poor individual gets shafted, not the watchtower.

That pretty much applies across the board.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As far as I know, they are told to be sparing with the more expensive literature.. I am surprised she offered to get a study Bible. Would she have done it?

Whist talking of Mormon literature, I was once given a LDS brochure. I read it and noticed that in size and appearance it was not too dissimilar to a J W one,although its' message was very differerent.

Feeling frustrated in still attending the K. Hall meetings , I found a quiet moment to slip in into the pile of Field Service brochures on the literature counter .....I would love to know if anyone took it out in F/Service ??

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    Hey Wayward!

And there weren't any Bibles out. Maybe they were under the counter?

Probably....

Bibles are basically for use only if asked for and interest shown - otherwise I suppose if they were displayed a lot of poeple would just take it - after all a free bible is a free bible in their view probably.

Also I think they're directed NOT to accept any monetary contributions / donations for items they give out on the cart / public display witnessing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Q: "Hey, can I have a copy of the Book of Mormon?"

A: "Uh... no, sir, we don't have that. We have the Bible and these publications here..."

Q: "How come you don't have the Book of Mormon? You're Mormons, ain'tcha?"

A: "Uh... no, sir, we're Jehovah's Witnesses..."

Q: "Well, same difference, right? I mean, you go door-to-door, you talk to people in the street, you wear suits, right?"

A: "Uh..."

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Do they still actively try to get people to take Bible courses? I've asked people who have been visited by JWs if they were offered Bible study. So far everyone has said no, they were just handed some literature and that was it. In my neighborhood they come in cars and unload, then they meet back up in about an hour and head out for lunch (I'm guessing).

They've never ask about Bible study.

What's goin' on?

Laziness or policy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit