Got the personal invite to the D.C

by Phizzy 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A nice JW old boy knocked the door and asked me how I was, said they were giving out invites, I refrained from mocking him for the total waste of time such "work" is.

He mentioned that " we don't know when the End will come" , so I just said I was sure my new grandson would grow up, go to University, get a good job and his kids would do the same, by which time I shall be long gone.

"You are sure of that ?" asked the JW, "Oh yes", I replied.

I know we cannot be sure of anything, except Death and Taxes, but there is loads of evidence that my scenario may well play out, there is NO SINGLE SHRED of evidence for an "End to the System" as envisaged by JW's, their weird view coming from a totally discredited source, the Bible and mainly its final book, what nonsense.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I like it! You kept it simple and to the point.

• Saename
    Saename

Next time you should pretend you just converted to a new religion called jeehooberism and are on your way to the altar that's in your house so that you could sacrifice some vegetables (because you can't animals...) Then ask them to pray with you to Jeehoober.

Note: not Jehovah but Jeehoober.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree JW Armageddon is not coming anytime. But if Trump becomes president I wouldn't be so sure of the rest.

In fact even if he doesn't become president I doubt the prospects of humans surviving the 21st century.

Is that unusual?

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    I agree JW Armageddon is not coming anytime. But if Trump becomes president I wouldn't be so sure of the rest.
    In fact even if he doesn't become president I doubt the prospects of humans surviving the 21st century.
    Is that unusual?

I can't see Trump winning...few of his own party saying today he is unfit for president...polls are close though.

In my opinion there will not a be a supernatural end to the world given I conclude there is no god but as for a man-made end to the world? Who knows...I was speaking to some high up ranking Navakl chaps recently who said things are getting very interesting with Russia...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nicely handled Phizzy. I feel sorry for these old boys who have wasted their lives devoting themselves to lie.

• steve2
    steve2

"In fact even if he doesn't become president I doubt the prospects of humans surviving the 21st century."

This has echoes of the admittedly more confident comments made in Watchtower publications about the end arriving before the end of the 20th Century.

It is always difficult for people rooted in one specified time period to see beyond it - yet it arrives and the adjusted doomsday predictions continue. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to have lived in Hitler's Germany and been rounded up and consigned to a concentration camp. You cannot get worse than that at a "personal" level. Yet, the world has moved on and the youngest concentration camp survivors are in their 70s.

As with Churchill's statements about the era-breaking significance of World War One, each generation finds its own era-breaking event. For us it will be 9/11 - the day the USA changed and we were suddenly in a different kind of world. And on and on it goes, the world defying an ending to satisfy growing anxieties.

• Saename
    Saename

I would love to see Donald Trump win. For one reason only though... Just to see what a parody that would be. And then I think... Maybe not. I don't want to risk the end of the world...

[If you read Fox News, the above is a new-to-you phenomenon called "sarcasm." I don't actually want to see Do[omsday]nald Trump win.]

cantleave, trust me... We all feel sorry for those young ones... They are told that any intimate relationship with a person of the opposite sex is sinful and comes from the Devil... Too bad because it's natural for young people, so they really are forced to suppress their nature...

• Saename
    Saename

steve2, I couldn't agree more.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Steve, the "21st century" comment may be similar in form to the infamous WT statement about the 20th century that was later revised, but utterly different in content and probability, I would suggest.

All generations view their own time as unique and are aware of new risks. But the invention of the nuclear bomb was a game changer. Humans now have the ability to end our planetary civilisation in minutes. We have come incredibly close to doing so a number of times. It would be foolish to think we will not come close again, or that we will avert the worst every time. It's just one of those things better not to think too much about I suppose, but nevertheless very real.

Astronomer Martin Rees gave various scenarios and reasons for suspecting humans would not last another century, but by far the most worrysome to me is nuclear conflagration.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Final-Century-Civilisation-Twenty-first/dp/0099436868

https://youtu.be/3qF26MbYgOA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit