Enjoy hope without disappointment

by Mikejw 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Todays watchtower is very interesting on many levels. They know that millions are disappointed.

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=2023681

I also found it interesting they talk about brother fred franz and show his picture. Do they think most JWs today don’t know or forgot about the other brother Ray Franz his relative who wrote the book crisis of conscience?

I find the subject of hope without disappointment fascinating. I’m physically in mentally agnostic. I still have hope in the Bibles promises but I don’t think JWs interpretation is correct.

So I think it is possible to have hope and still be agnostic this way you will be far less disappointed than PIMIs

• Ding
    Ding

Fred Franz is the one who came up with the 1975 fiasco.

He also told young JWs they needn't go to college, seek out careers, or plan for retirement because "you will never grow old in this system of things."

How many people's lives were ruined when these hopes he created came to nothing?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I'll help my wife sleep through today. False hope,

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Photo is Nils Olsen (little house TV show) LOL

Should comment on the entertaining history 3and fulfillments he wrote; it just never came true

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Great WT article.

That is what religion does -- it gives people "HOPE" -- even if nothing tangible ever proves true.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    That is what religion does -- it gives people "HOPE" -- even if nothing tangible ever proves true.

Yes and this is better than no hope. I’m agnostic about the Bibles promises but I have hope that atheists don’t have.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MIKEJW:

They need an article like this after the disappointment caused by the changes in their 2023 Annual Meeting.

I am long Out so it doesn’t matter to me - but very many Witnesses must be deeply depressed over these changes (especially the one about not needing to report hours). I got judged over this and glad I never listened.

I watched a You Tube by an ex-JW who talks about how they went ‘scorched earth’ on their own teachings! Any intelligent JWs must come to the same conclusions. How could it not bother them?

DING:

Nineteen Seventy Five was before my time in the JW religion. There must have been many thousands ruined by the bad advice they got. These people did more than ‘grow old’ - many have passed away… Sadly, people who came in after ‘75 got similar bad advice to not get careers, etc. Thankfully, I never paid any mind to anything said there!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I subscribe to the motto: Hope in one hand and s--t in the other and see which one needs washed.

Hope is a lot like sitting in a rocking chair. You can spend a lot of time there, but never get anywhere. You need to get up and MAKE things happen. Hope will NEVER get anything done! For example, go sit in a chair and HOPE that you get noon dinner. Do nothing but HOPE for it, and you will get mighty hungry unless you get up and make your dinner.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    … which is better than no hope.

More like “Give them a Pie in the Sky, so they’ll tolerate sh#t for the present”.

Typical Cargo Cult mentality.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Some hope is better than no hope.

I know a couple who have an extremely shy daughter in her late 20s. She cant really talk to anyone apart from a few old sisters in the congregation.

The old couple have hope she will snap out of it and marry one day, or at least live a relatively normal life where she doesn’t need to hide behind her mum.

they have tried everything they can think of even expert doctors and therapists now all they have is some hope.

this may be a poor example but many of us still physically in the JWs still have a bit of hope that there is a God and the promises in the Bible may have some truth to them even though the JWs interpreted them wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit