Living your life according to the bible

by TTWSYF 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    'Is there any proof anywhere in history where Jewish or Christian people lived their life according to the Scriptures?"

Although some people are better than others, the correct answer is no. "There is no one righteous, no not one". "All our righteousnesses are like filthy rags". Even the Jews, with all there cool ancestors, miracles seen by God, meaningful holidays and law code couldn't do it.

"Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers, who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it"- Acts 7

This is why Jesus three times told Nocodemus that he must be born again. Jesus was sent to seek and destroy the sin nature inside of man, and not the sinner.

"I have come not to condemn the world, but to save it". - Jesus

Jesus changed the focus of salvation from works to belief. So, while I cannot always be obedient, I can always believe. That is something I CAN manage. God says I am his son, under his care, and heir to all that he owns for that simple act of my will.

So, in a New Testament context, yes millions of people live a life of belief.... according to the NT scriptures.

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. - Romans 4: 4-5

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Christian life is about agape. Has nothing too do with watchtower religion. Even if meetings last decade have put lots of focus on agape, compared to previous decades, when everything was about preaching, regular jws don't have interest in applying principal in their life's. Reason for all gossip and judging at kingdom halls

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The problem is that many have and do live according to the Bible. Bloodshed and tribalism is the theme of the Bible. There are probably about 20 ethical verses worthy of considering, most of those were equally well said by many others.

Religions that foster the better natures of people are to be commended, but their message is not the message of "the Bible" but merely proof texted from the Bible.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

So to answer one who agrees the subject title

Bluesbrother wrote

Uncountable numbers of people have endeavoured to live their lives according to Scriptures.

That may or may not be true. Can you site an example of any religious organization [prior to the WTS] promoting that practice? I have not found this teaching anywhere in history prior to the 19th century American bible boom. Please cite any examples that I may have missed.

I would cite the family of Jesus who made the sacrifices, observed the festivals etc of the Jewish scriptures. I can’t imagine Joseph being unscrupulous in his dealings with others . In the early Christian world a lot met their death in the arena rather than violate their beliefs

Living according to righteousness is NOT strictly living according to the scriptures.

The scriptures in Jesus's time [and today too] were read aloud in worship at the Synagogue through today in Church[s]. It was never a complete guide to faithful life. It included worship,a record of history of a race of people, a guide on cleansing and diet. Laws , etc

Today millions of Christian people believe they are living the right way , the trouble is the application of Bible principles. e.g. A JW would not vote or stand for office because he must be “ no part of the world “ . However , a Mormon may tell you that it is Christian duty to do so , for the good of the community.

History teached all the way back to the apostles that the right way to live as a Christian is to do ALL that Jesus instructed us to do. Jesus NEVER said look to the scriptures as a guide for living, he DID say to do all that he told us to.

TTWSYF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit