Living your life according to the bible

by TTWSYF 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I have heard it said [numerous times] that JWs live their life according to the bible.

I have also heard [numerous times] that JWs have restored the correct Christian practice following the great apostasy [?which is a different topic]

My question is 'Is there any proof anywhere in history where Jewish or Christian people lived their life according to the Scriptures?"

Thanks,

TTWSYF

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

No, JWs do not live according to the Bible.

Instead, 8.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses live their lives according to the Governing Body's word and dictates.

That's why they can put their full trust in men when the Bible instructs not to put trust in men.

That's why they preach that you need not be born again to enter the kingdom of God when Jesus says otherwise

That's why they refuse to partake of the emblems of Christ's death when Jesus tells Christians to partake or you have no life in you.

That is why they believe they must work for salvation when the scriptures say we are saved by grace, not of works.

That's why they say they are not children of God right now when the Bible says as many as received him have the right to be children of God.

That's why they claim not to have the indwelling Holy Spirit when the Bible says, if you are bereft of the indwelling Holy Spirit, you do not belong to Christ.

That is why they don't repent of their trust in men and believe the gospel.

That is why they cannot have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, come to Him, call on Him, pray to Him or even say, "Thank you Jesus my Lord and Saviour for dying for me."

That is why they are bereft of the indwelling Holy Spirit, relationship with Jesus , eternal life, sonship, forgiveness of sin and the righteousness of Christ that His blood has procured for every believer. Acts 13:39

All they are left with is the empty promise of men that if they stick with them, they just might survive Armageddon.

That's it. That's all they have.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    My question is 'Is there any proof anywhere in history where Jewish or Christian people lived their life according to the Scriptures?

What scriptures?

The Bible canon was not compiled until:

Council of Rome 382 AD

Council of Trent 1546 AD

Church of England 1563 AD

Westminster 1647 AD

Synod of Jerusalem 1672 AD

New World Translation circa 1960 AD (jk)

Take your pick! If you don't like the first choice you can always choose another.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The first Christians were practicing Jews who lived their lives the way Jesus taught them. Christianity was not a religion until after Jesus was elevated to a deity. The deification of Jesus came long after Jesus' death.

So, practicing Jew have never lived their life according to the Bible. Jesus' original followers did not either as the Bible did not exist. The first book of the New Testament to be written was The Book of Acts which was written about 4 decades after the events in the alleged events in the book were to have taken place.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

TNK,

Jesus read the scriptures in the synagogue while teaching. OT was available and widely circulated during Jesus's life.

He read and told his 'congregation' that the scriptures he read one day referred to himself. His congregation wanted to kill him immediately after as I recall

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

sorry, meant TBK

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

We can be certain that the books of the bible were regarded as such since the begining.

The Muratorian Fragment lists 22 of the 27 NT books as canonical. It dates to 170 AD.

The document is called a fragment because portions of the document have been torn off. The well known biblical scholar Westcott states that the missing books were probably included initially because the document is torn where they should have been listed.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My question is 'Is there any proof anywhere in history where Jewish or Christian people lived their life according to the Scriptures?"

Uncountable numbers of people have endeavoured to live their lives according to Scriptures. I would cite the family of Jesus who made the sacrifices, observed the festivals etc of the Jewish scriptures. I can’t imagine Joseph being unscrupulous in his dealings with others . In the early Christian world a lot met their death in the arena rather than violate their beliefs .

Today millions of Christian people believe they are living the right way , the trouble is the application of Bible principles. e.g. A JW would not vote or stand for office because he must be “ no part of the world “ . However , a Mormon may tell you that it is Christian duty to do so , for the good of the community.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TTetc - I have heard it said [numerous times] that JWs live their life according to the bible.

Well, they would claim that because it's a cult with a tweaked Bible. And because to claim otherwise, would invalidate their imagined piety.

The Governing Body(tm)(Pee be upon them), wouldn't want the truth getting out, so they brainwash the R&F into a fake reality.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

It can be argued that there were people who lived their lives according to the Divine will, before they had Scriptures to depend on. Moses, Enoch, Job, etc. Granted, they purportedly had something a bit more direct than a written guide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit