Jehovah's Witnesses resume sidewalk carts after pandemic pause, soon will do door knocking

by Bangalore 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Jehovah's Witnesses resume sidewalk carts after pandemic pause, soon will do door knocking.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/local/2022/08/05/jehovahs-witnesses-resume-sidewalk-carts-door-knocking-next-list/10168175002/

• bsmart
    bsmart

They are already with their carts outside our local library. I only noticed them sitting on their chairs while I was driving out of the parking lot. The gals have to get their time in.

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's laughable. A desperate attempt to make sure hours are reported to convince the sheeple the "life saving" TM work is ongoing.

As if D2D was a big joke, the carts are even more so.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

before waking up, I preferred the cart to D-D because It felt like a more productive use of time-which was important to me as I had to work to support myself and didn't actually get much time to go out. Here was the typical D_D saturday. Up early enough to get ready and go to service group by 9:30 ...arrangement made for groups, territory (10-15 minute ) outside in parking area lengthy discussion of where everyone wanted to meet for a break. (another 10minutes+- ) You are on your way to a territory that is at least 20 minutes out. Rural, houses not close together... by the time each in car group may have or may not have gotten a door to call on ( which was likely a not at home, it was time to leave the territory to drive back the approx half hour to get to the place where the groups had decided to meet for a break.( usually a bakery or donut shop ) They stand in line for bathrooms, coffee, snacks, then all sit in booths to eat and drink.. Because this process may have involved serving 8-10 people along with other clients, it would take up 1/2 -1 hour. Ok, does anyone have any calls to get on the way back to service group place ( going in at noon) because there isn't enough time to go back to the territory to work. So on a good Sat. morning you started getting ready 8:30 ish or before...you wouldn't get home until about 1 ish if you were coming back home. For all that time, you may have knock on one or two doors. At least with the cart, you saw people you could have a pleasant greeting with even if they weren't interested and just passing by. ( of course there were some who walked a wide girth around the cart. Another thing that often happened in the car group was someone hadn't eaten breakfast and wanted to go to a drive thru-but a couple of mornings I remember those in the group going to a restaurant for a full sit down breakfast, or someone had a sort errand they needed to do while they were out, or an emergency bathroom break for someone. Years and years ago I quit meeting after Sunday meeting for service-by the time everyone got their lunch and out into the territory ( miles away ) you only got a door or two and people were ready to go home.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

@ enough

Yes, I remember when I was still in pretty well the exact same schedule where I am. Shortly before I finally got FedUp with it all I would turn down any group assignment and go alone. The last Saturday morning that I met, the group overseer thought he would shame me and asked, "What do you think is wrong with us that you do not join the group? Or do you just think you are more important that the group arrangement?" I replied in a forceful voice, "No, it's just that I intend to MAKE MY TIME COUNT, not go out and JUST COUNT MY TIME!"

• Dagney
    Dagney

A friend who was a MS pleaded with me to "just play the game." They could pick me up for meeting for FS, we would tell the group we were doing calls, and then we could go out to breakfast in a neighboring city.

As tempting as that sounded, (NOT! LOL), I still didn't go back to meetings.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Elder Missionaries on BikesEncountering Jehovah's Witnesses at Carts

"Do you think we should tell those JWs that you can't get far riding a cart?"

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Fit solar panels? They can become like a gas stations to recharge your phone or electric scooter.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The best days were h aving someone else go on a long winded return while I slept.

As for carts, I still have mental scars from wearing little kid sandwich boards. No carts for me.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

road to nowhere - I was the one who did the long-winded return visit. My car sleeper is a barrister now. When asked I ask why she was pioneering and going to uni, I got told, 'in order to help the society.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit