Can disfellowshipped individuals attend the Video Meetings

by StephaneLaliberte 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Hello everyone,

Just a quesiton: Can disfellowshipped individuals attend the Video Meetings. If they can, do they have to turn off their video and sound? Can they attend with their family? Is there any specific instructions for them?

Thanks!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The instruction, as I recall, is to show “discernment” over whether to allow a disfellowshipped person to attend congregation meetings on zoom, on the basis of whether they attend meetings regularly, and they should be informed about the “appropriate time” to join and leave meetings. Ask Atlantis for the recent letter/guide on the issue.

Reading between the lines, it seems they are not going out of their way to encourage DFed people to attend via zoom, and they should leave promptly when the meeting is finished. It didn’t say anything about DFed people turning off video. I suspect Watchtower would prefer their video to be on, so their demeanour can be visible, but the microphone should always be on mute.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, it is a local elder decision for DF/DA attendees. I'm sure there would be no problem if they were already attending meetings prior to the virus thing. They just have to be quiet and log off immediately after the meeting.

As slimboyfat mentioned, they would want to see you and likely how you are dressed.

But if you wanted to get invited again, you shouldn't be wearing a Metallica t-shirt.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe they have to sit at the back of the room and keep their mouth shut and other family members are t sit at the front of the room and every now and again give a sneering look at the DF or DA one just so they know there place.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

If you want a copy of this letter just let me know and I'll send a link to your pm box.

Announcements and Reminders
    May 2020 S-147-E

(Page 1, No.5 which continues on to page 2)

5. Disfellowshipped or Disassociated Persons Joining Meetings by Videoconference: When holding congregation meetings by means of videoconferencing tools, such as Zoom, use good judgment in determining whether to permit a disfellowshipped or disassociated person to connect to the meetings. If needed, the elders should remind him of when it would be appropriate to join and to leave such meetings.

Petra!
  • carla
    carla

Seriously? the elders get to decide who is sitting in your own home now and jw's can't see this is batshitcrazy?

Try explaining this whole thing to a non jw and they don't believe you! "yes, jw's used to knock on doors trying to make converts (pre virus days) and may be calling or writing letters to still get you to join but if you aren't deemed worthy you may be asked to leave the area of the computer so you can't see their 'life saving message'". Makes perfect sense

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    Announcements and Reminders
    May 2020 S-147-E

(Page 1, No.5 which continues on to page 2)
    5. { Read # 5 as above }
    Scenario :
    Family of faithful JW`s are going to sit in on a Zoom Videoconference Meeting in their own living room and have sought and are applying direction from H.Q./ Bethel ,in how to allow their 12 year old daughter to attend this family / congregation meeting in there own home as she was DF for smoking . If needed, the elders should remind him / her of when it would be appropriate to join and to leave such meetings.
    This is just so insane ,I cant believe I was ever so gullible to join this cult let alone stay there for 32 years .
    Batshit crazy goes nowhere near describing this lot ? the mind boggles.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Batshit crazy goes nowhere near describing this lot ?

@smiddy3

I am "in" but am smart enough to know that yes, we are batshit crazy. And when talking to some, it's as if we all know it.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Why would a DF or DA person want to sit in on one of those zoom meetings? I would be there in my heavy metal shirt calling bullshit at everything said while drinking beer.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Why would a DF or DA person want to sit in on one of those zoom meetings?

@Overrated ....

Quick answer: To get reinstated.

Much easier for a DF due to "weakness" ... for a DA, a much tougher road back.

Remember, from their standpoint, getting DF'd is like them kicking you in the ass. Doing the DA thing is like you kicking them in the ass. The DA thing makes their asses sore and takes more time to heal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit