If YOU had to make the decision, would you respect a JW relatives wish to refuse a blood transfusion?

by nicolaou 152 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I would respect the wishes of anyone regarding their own body. It's not my place.

It's not your place to care for the people you love? Imagine your 18 year old daughter suffered from anorexia nervosa. It has a death rate approaching 20% and leaves survivors with a lifetime of frailty through bone loss, reduced heart capacity and organ damage. Would you really respect her wishes regarding her own body? Wouldn't you urge her to get professional medical attention? Maybe even have her sectioned as a drastic last resort if you felt her life was in danger?

Now imagine that same daughter wants to refuse a lifesaving transfusion. Why is this situation any different? If the only reason you can come up with is a religious one please explain why that matters.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I look at it this way:

If you honestly believe the J.W.`s are wrong in there interpretation ,why would you respect a relatives decision to refuse blood.? Wouldn`t that amount to helping one commit suicide ? Needlesly ending one`s own life?

Many Jehovah`s Witnesses have rationalized taking there own life , would you assist them in some way to achieve that aim ? Supply the gun , the bullets , the rope , drop them off at a bridge ? etc.

The parents and Elders that assisted those many children shown on the front cover of the 1994 AWAKE magazine , Youths Who Gave Their Life , by refusing blood surgery ,should have been charged with Child Abuse causing death .

Children do not have the right or mental capacity or life experience to make such a life or death decision.

smiddy

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    nicolaou, to me, caring for people I love means respecting their wishes. When my mother was dying, I could have disrespected her wishes and selfishly kept her alive for a few more days or weeks by authorizing painful and invasive medical procedures. I chose to respect her wish for a peaceful pain-free and quick death even though I loved her so very much. I treated her just as I hope to be treated when I'm at death's door. Regarding children, I specifically do not have any, in large part, because I don't want to be faced with these decisions. Also, there are some things worse than death. Something tells me that you've never been 'sectioned'.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

I wasn't asking about a dying parent Paul. I've already said in this topic that the situation isn't black and white and that I too wouldn't see the point in contradicting the wishes of a terminally ill senior.

I was asking about a teenage girl with her whole life in front of her. Fine, you don't want to face that decision, well who does?

Clearly, the discussion on blood needs to be moved on, not only amongst Jehovah's Witnesses but also amongst their exJW relatives.

• paul from cleveland
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    This question is essentially a rewording of the pro life/ pro choice abortion question: "Does a woman have the right to control her own body?" Although I don't like the idea of abortion, it's not my place to decide. I feel the same way about the blood issue. I might not like it but it's not my place to force my will on someone else.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

How is the woman's life at risk if she has a professionally supervised medical abortion? This is a terrible analogy Paul.

An emotive red herring.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    It's the same thing. You're asking who has the final say over the choices we make regarding our own body. You or me? I don't want anyone taking those rights away from me regarding any issue. Whether it's blood, abortion, being 'sectioned' or anything else. Without the freedom to choose what happens to my own body I would rather be dead.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

So you would let a troubled teenager starve herself? Possibly to death?

Let's be clear about this.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    No, I'd leave her in the care of her parents or guardians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit