The Trials of Living Alone

by SYN 14 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

Here's an interesting article I found on ThisIsLondon's site ( http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifeandstyle/articles/4688499?source=Evening%20Standard )

Sarah Jessica Parker: plays singleton Carrie Bradshaw

Story tools:
    Have your say

The trials of living alone By Victoria Fletcher, Evening Standard
    6 May 2003

We have seen it portrayed on TV in the lifestyle of Carrie in Sex And The City. You can live alone, go out to parties every night, see friends and have flings as often as you want, but not having someone "on tap" to share things with can become a drag.

Now the truth behind this image has apparently been proven in a new survey which has taken a magnifying glass to the lifestyles of people who live alone.

It finds that - although they spend less time on housework, go out more and have more hobbies than their flatsharing friends - people who live alone are not as content.

Other stories:

Looking for Mrs Robinson

I felt ugly as a child

The trials of living alone

Nigella gets women's vote

My G-spot secret

What a load of boules!

The model with metal legs

We just drifted apart
    While 47 per cent of people who live alone say they are "very happy with life as it is", this compares with 61 per cent of those who live with one or more other people.

This separation of views remains the same, regardless of the age, sex or social class of the respondent.

The results reveal that people who live alone view the local pub as a haven, and are more likely to do exercise, visit cultural events and do things on the spur of the moment.

But, despite this freedom, life may not always be perfect. "The best aspect of about living alone could be summed up in one word: freedom," the report said.

"The nature of that freedom depended on individual circumstances but fell into two broad areas - freedom from 'relationship hassles', and freedom to 'please myself '.

"However, on the emotional side, the lack of someone 'on tap' to share things that had happened in their lives was often mentioned, especially by women.

"Other emotional drawbacks were the fact that it was sometimes difficult to get help and advice when making decisions; the lack of physical contact; or simply the need for some company.

"All of these could be supplied by a network of friends and non-cohabiting partners. But the fact that they were not always available just when they were needed could be a problem."

Despite this, the lifestyle of people who live on their own appears more exciting. About 27 per cent say they take holidays off the beaten track, compared with 22 per cent of those who live with others. This trend becomes even more pronounced for those aged over 40.

Look here too!

Home alone: the facts

They are also twice as likely to go to jazz concerts and more inclined to visit art galleries, the opera, the theatre and go to gigs. One in 10 also admitted to playing computer games for a few hours each day.

The survey by data analyst Mintel questioned a cross-section of 2,000 people, aged between 20 and 54, who lived either alone or with others. They included "singletons", and people who are divorced or widowed.

At present, almost one in five adults over the age of 20 live in single-person households, and this is expected to rise by six per cent in the next four years.

It is thought that the growing number of divorcees, as well as the increase in young people putting off marriage until later in life, has fuelled this trend.

However, Mintel's focus groups did discover some less-appealing aspects of living alone.

For many older people, weekends can become boring and lonely and lead them to either spend much of the weekend in the pub or stay in bed for a lot of the day.

For those who find the charm of living alone comes from a busy social life, empty evenings can be daunting. Many respondents said they would work late in order to avoid nights alone in front of the television.

So who lives alone on this site? I'd probably go crazy if I had to live alone...!
  • RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I live alone.

First time in my entire life I have lived alone for this long.

I have either been with my parents, shared a place, an apartment/house with friends/partner.

For almost 7 months, I have lived alone. I do have a little bird, and she's great. But as for the human companionship, well...honestly, now that I have my solitude, I wouldn't want to trade it for anything.

I have lived alone for a about 3 months before, but that was a record. This is the longest thus far. So far so good.

SYN: the things I can get away with now.....wooowhee!!

• Sirona
    Sirona

I would have thought it unwise for anyone on this site who lives alone to declare it to a bunch of strangers!

Sirona

PS. I don't live alone.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I have an eighteen year old daughter, but there are whole days I don't see her. But I can honestly say after being married to a bi-polar J-dud for 15 years, this is really nice. I have some close 'friends' and travel all over the world. I have my health and my freedom from those babbling idiots. Life is good! Maverick

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Pro's : the ability to go out every night, to party all night long, not coming home cuz you found a better place to spend the night.

Con's : the cruciating moments were you search your mind for a person to go out with... But the b*tch about living alone is the afternoon, where you sip your coffee, and have a smoke, and have no one to share that moment with. [ah well, thats why I'm online ]

But the evenings rock.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Stuff that....did anyone else read the G Spot article?

Expatbrit

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

I lived alone now for 5 yrs. I love my freedom. I too lived 14 yrs with a Bipolar jw husband.

That was 19 yrs ago. The last 2 years he was pretty psychotic. A nightmare from hell. Kinda like

living in a bus station.

So I can relate to Maverick. Like I said before each day I come home to my apt. I value my

peace of mind. The freedom of making choices what I want to do with myself. Having good friends.

Being active in the Gay-Lesbian communty and various support groups. My involvement

with 2 daughters and 6 grandchildren. I have a full life now.

And when I do feel lonely. Its usually because I am not comfortable with self and me needing to

find that middle ground within. It is'nt about being connected to another. Those feelings show up

whether you are living with another or others.

OCW

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

I lived alone now for 5 yrs. I love my freedom. I too lived 14 yrs with a Bipolar jw husband.

That was 19 yrs ago. The last 2 years he was pretty psychotic. A nightmare from hell. Kinda like

living in a bus station.

So I can relate to Maverick. Like I said before each day I come home to my apt. I value my

peace of mind. The freedom of making choices what I want to do with myself. Having good friends.

Being active in the Gay-Lesbian communty and various support groups. My involvement

with 2 daughters and 6 grandchildren. I have a full life now.

And when I do feel lonely. Its usually because I am not comfortable with self and me needing to

find that middle ground within. It is'nt about being connected to another. Those feelings show up

whether you are living with another or others.

OCW

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

About the G-spot article:

After five minutes, by which time the cream had taken effect, I had two syringes full of hyaluronic acid - usually used for lip augmentation - injected into my G-spot.

OMG, ouch

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I still live with my family and enjoy their company. My parents are cool people, but I do look forward to the day when I have my own pad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit