Was Jesus really a Jehovah`s Witness ? He never identified himself as such , in word or deed.

by smiddy 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

Also he never chastised the Jews for not identifying themselves as Jehovah`s Witnesses following Isaiah`s statement at ch.43 :10-12 , so many years before hand.

And he had ample opportunity to do so on numerous occasions .

Jesus himself never used the divine name /Jehovah or any other equivalent , in any of his sayings attributed to him by his contemporaries .

Sure he acknowledged GOD as his father and that he did his fathers will , but he never acknowledged him by a personal name such as Jehovah or anything like it.

And lets not forget Acts 11:26 it was first in Antioch that followers of Jesus by Divine Providence were to be called Christians , not Jehovah`s Witnesses,

smiddy

• prologos
    prologos

whenever somebody reproaches me for not using the name, , I reply, using Smiddy's quote. Jesus is not recorded to have ever used it, or, can you show me in the bible??, even when dying, surely an occasion to "bear witness" he said "Eli--". always shuts them up.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

YHWH is used nearly seven thousand times in the OT.

The NT comes along and Yahweh's name is dropped like a dirty shirt. Not only does this make no sense theologically, it gets worse, the transition to not using Yahweh's name is never discussed in scripture.

Could the bible be a just a collection of discordant religious texts?

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

I couldn't understand how anyone could not use God's name after leaving the Watchtower. This was very difficult for me to grasp. However, in time, I naturally ceased using God's name in prayer.

Then I realized what happened. God waa not my friend. He was truly my father. You naturally don't use your parent's name when addressing them. Thus Jesus was introducing the father.

As far as God's name in the NT, I quickly learned why it was missing. Many times when quoting the OT, Paul applies scripture that was originally addressed to Yahweh, to Christ. Why? Simply because God wanted us to focus on Christ. Mark 9: 7: "A cloud came, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, "This is my beloved Son. Listen to him."

I personally do not believe in the trinity. I now have drawn the conclusion for myself that Christ did not preexist. Thus, Jesus was the complete fullfillment of the "Logos" or master plan of John 1:1. That is why Paul applied the words of Romans: 14:11 to Christ. For it is written, "'As I live,' says the Lord, 'to me every knee will bow. Every tongue will confess to God.'" Basically, Jesus is the complete manifestation of God. . If we know Christ, we know God. 1 Corinthians: 2: 16: "For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct him?" But we have Christ's mind."

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    He wasn't a Lutheran or Calvinist
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

smiddy - "Was Jesus really a Jehovah's Witness ?"

'Course not.

He'd have been disfellowshipped.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Thanks Smiddy, Prologos and Liberator
  • Lieu
    Lieu

Because the NT isn't about YHWH, it's about who was sent to be the Savior. Christianity is about following the example of Christ and gaining knowledge in Christ, to the glory of YHWH. The whole Hebrew Bible is a build up to Christ, the Messiah.

Christ is King of the Kingdom. Christ is the mediator for all mankind. Christ is the High Priest and at Christ's name every knee will bend.

The apostles and disciples were followers of Christ , they were actual witnesses of Christ. So yeah, those of Christ were called Christians. Jehovah's Witnesses were standing on Egypt when the Red Sea was split . If you weren't there it ain't you.

Acts 4:10-12 NET

let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, this man stands before you healthy. [11] This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, that has become the cornerstone. [12] And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among people by which we must be saved."

Anyone who claims to be a follower of the Bible should believe that is God's arrangement. He himself made those arrangements and that's how he wants things to be.

Now what I found interesting is when reading certain accounts, Christ says he has made God's name known. He also says it's the name that's been given to himself. John chapter 17 is mind altering. It's common practice for a father to give his first born son his same name. Junior. Hmmmm?

When I think about it, God never really told the Israelites his name.

"I am" is not a name, it's a state of being.

• Tenacious
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

Jesus was a Jew who taught and encouraged blind obedience to the apostate teachings of Devil worshippers. This is highlighted in Matthew chapter 23.

PROOF: "Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying ... all the things they tell you, do and observe." - Mat. 23:1-2

This was Jesus instructing potential Christians that they must obey the teachings of apostates, i.e. the Pharisees of the day.

Blind obedience to apostate teachings. No wonder the people supported the Pharisees in killing Jesus. They were told to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit