1963 Resolution Condemning the United Nations

by Sea Breeze 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So the claim that Watchtower controlled IBSA is selling CT Russell publications is completely bogus then?

• oncebitten
    oncebitten

Nicolaou-

Dig around on the site. One I saw was a link to Dawn Bible Students. Another was Divine Plan. I'm not interested enough to click on more links. Anyone measuring pyramids and oooops then changing the measurements to fit an agenda is clearly not of God.

And what about the connections with UIA and Bible students and the UN? lol cmon now..

As to wiki I agree-- but it is also shown as a corp on jw ORG which i refuse to link to.

Just a reminder for Nic--

In 1907, the Watchtower deliberately altered a supposed Pyramid measurement by 41 inches to match its changed chronology.

Here is an excerpt from Russell’s Studies in the Scriptures: Thy Kingdom Come, Series III, p. 342. The boldface type shows the changes between the measurements reported in the 1897 and 1907 editions of the book:

1897 edition:

“Then measuring down the Entrance Passage from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the ‘Pit,’ representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3416 inches, symbolizing 3416 years from the above date, B.C. 1542. This calculation shows A.D. 1874 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1874 years A.D. equals 3416. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1874 was the chronological beginning of the time of trouble…” (Russell, Studies in the Scriptures: Thy Kingdom Come, Series III, p. 342, 1897 edition)

1907 edition:

“Then measuring down the Entrance Passage from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the ‘Pit,’ representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3457 inches, symbolizing 3457 years from the above date, B.C. 1542. This calculation shows A.D. 1915 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1915 years A.D. equals 3457. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning.” (Russell, Studies in the Scriptures: Thy Kingdom Come, Series III, p. 342, 1907 edition)

That pyramid grew. No explanation at the time. They just changed the numbers and kept printing the book!

Finally, in 1979---------- they came up with this excuse. But is this true? Did history change? haha. Oh nut he meant well. That excuse doesnt work for false prophets. These people are blatant liars.

The March 1, 1979 Watchtower (p. 24) made this defense of its prophetic changes: “The increasing light on God’s Word as well as the facts of history have repeatedly required that adjustments of one kind or another be made down to the very present time. But let us never forget that the motives of this ‘slave’ were always pure, unselfish; at all times it has been well-meaning.”

• oncebitten
    oncebitten

They are linking to sites who do. You i figure it out. The Watchtower OWNS the Bible Students who is linking to sites who sell their old publications. Why would they allow that? They may not own that website but they OWN them. Does that make sense? Do you think the WT is just being nice? The Bible students believe the WT is apostate... the WT believes that the Bible Students are apostate. Are Jws allowed to mix with apostates?

Yet one owns the other............... ok enuf said.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I am literally laughing out loud reading this… my wife is calling out “WTF?” from the next room.

How has no one caught this before?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    How has no one caught this before?

I'm afraid I agree with your wifey. (At least your wife will talk to you about it. My wife has written them all off as criminals. My father's name is not even alowed to be spoken in our home.)

Nontheless, this is huge. Needs to be more researched. I'm going to Europe in a few weeks. Maybe I should spend a couple days in London snooping around.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It’s right up there with the mandate for WT reps to deliberately seek all available opportunities for tax-exemption… that the Org is, in fact, entitled to it.

🤣

• Earnest
    Earnest
    oncebitten : [The IBSA] may not own [the IBSA] website but they OWN [the old publications]. Does that make sense?

In the UK the copyright Act, 1988, states that copyright exists until 70 years after the death of the writer, or if the writer is not known then 70 years after the work was published.

In the United States, the copywrite Act states that works published before January 1, 1929 are in the public domain.

So anyone can publish Russell's writings without needing permission from anyone.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Just for clarification: in what way does the WTBTS "own" the IBSA? Legally? Metaphorically? Is there any way to verify this ownership, once it is defined? Is it because they're selling Russell's old works?

I'm almost curious about what happened after Rutherford changed their name from IBS to JWs.

• Earnest
    Earnest

The organization of the International Bible Students Association was incorporated on 30 June 1914 and the governing document was amended by special resolution in 1949, 1951, 1958, 2005, 2014 and 2016.

In the Watchtower of December 15, 1914, Russell wrote (p.371)

For the sake of our many new readers we explain the the Watch Tower, Bible and Tract Society, as the parent organization, represents all the activities in Christian work with which THE WATCH TOWER and its editor are associated. All the work done through the International Bible Students Association and Peoples Pulpit Association, directly and indirectly, is the work of the Watch Tower, Bible and Tract Society.

It was registered as a charity in the UK on 18 November 1964. The charity spends its money to "provide serviced facilities to support religious activity of Jehovah's Witnesses. Arrange for venues to host conventions for Bible education. Pay expenses for and take care of living arrangements for members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah's Witnesses."

The current trustees are Michael Simpson, Andrew Paul Sutton, Stephen Charles Hale Symonds, Jonathan Manley and Karl William Snaith.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Thanks, Earnest. That's pretty funny, that one of their own sub-organizations is making Russell's old work available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit