Was Jesus Schizophrenic?

by StinkyPantz 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Let's think about it:

Schizophrenia's onset or manifestation usually occurs anywhere between late teens until early thirties/sometimes forties. The bible tells us very little about Jesus' childhood but it gives us the impression that he did not know that he was "god" or "god's" son. When he was in his early thirties, he was baptised and it was then that he saw the truth. Weird, huh? At about the same time that schizophrenia manifests itself, Jesus suddenly thinks that he is "god"/"god's son".

Let's look at some other characteristics:

- Jesus heard the voice of "god": Many schizophrenics have audible hallucinations (often god).

- Jesus thought he was "god"/"god's son": Schizophrenics often have delusions of grandeur (I'm god, god talks to me, I rule the world, etc.)

------------------------

All of this is off the top of my head, so that's why it's not scientifically written or thorough. Let me know what you think.

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

Obviously, Joseph and Mary did explain to a young Jesus what the angel Gabriel had communicated before his birth. Jesus, at around 12 years of age, knew that the temple was the house of his father.

It is my thinking that you should be careful of ridiculing the Christ. One thing is to criticize an Organzation, another completely different thing is to ridicule the Son of God.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Sounds reasonable to me.....which is why he *thought* he could *cure* people.

I think you are on to something. Medical studies are always done on the characteristics of famous people of old. I would guess that no one wants to touch this one due to the sensitive nature of the theory of Jesus.

Good catch Stinky!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

SOJ, *they have had years and years to prove something to us.

If they can figure out that Caesar was epileptic, someone could look at all the links and perhaps put two and two together on Jesus.

BTW, I don't think SP was ridiculing him at all....she is floating a theory.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

SOJ-

Please point me to the scripture where it says that Jesus' parents told Jesus specifically about Gabriel.

Besides that, how am ridiculing the guy? If he had schizophrenia, then I feel sorry for him.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Teenyuck-

If they can figure out that Caesar was epileptic, someone could look at all the links and perhaps put two and two together on Jesus.

I agree. I suppose we'll never know absolutely either way, but it's just something that crossed my mind.

• blondie
    blondie

I was just thinking the same thing, Stinky.

The account SOJ refers to is:

Luke 2:49

49 But he said to them: "Why did YOU have to go looking for me? Did YOU not know that I must be in the [house] of my Father?"

But then all the Israelites viewed Jehovah as their father but that did not mean they thought they were sons of God. Obviously the older men standing there listening did not understand it to mean that or they would have found Jesus guilty of blasphemy (which they did years later).

1 Chronicles 29:10

10 Consequently David blessed Jehovah before the eyes of all the congregation and David said: "Blessed may you be, O Jehovah the God of Israel our father, from time indefinite even to time indefinite.

Even the WTS is careful not to be too dogmatic using the highlighted disclaimer, "likely."

10/15/94 WT p 19

When Mary complained to Jesus about the mental distress he had caused her and Joseph, her son’s reply indicated that he likely realized the miraculous nature of his birth and his Messianic future.

This is one of the ways the WTS rewrites the Bible.

Blondie

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Blondie-

I knew that was the scripture that SOJ was talking about. That's why in my question I specifically named Gabriel.

• manon
    manon

SP,

Technically speaking this is a theory If you choose to view Jesus as merely a man instead of a divine entity. This is an interpretation given for the said dialogue between jesus, satan & jehovah.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Well Manon, there's also the theory that Jesus or later Christians made up all of those conversations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit