About my avatar

by slimboyfat 30 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Cofty, can you say 'pedantic'? Enough already, I'm done.

Sorry Slim, didn't mean to highjack your thread. xx

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    The word "America" is actually part of the official name of the country known as "The United States of America" so it makes sense that when people use the word "America" or "American" they're referring to the "United States of America" or someone from that country. Of course technically everyone from North and South America is "American" just as everyone from Europe is European. If the official name of Canada was something like "Canada of America" I suppose it would make sense to call people from the "United States of America" by another name. What would you like to call us? "United-Statesians"?
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

What would you like to call us?

How 'bout: Humans.

BTW, aren't you from Cleveland?

• talesin
    talesin

paul, well said. I posted the above comment a day or so ago, and it is just showing now, darn. It wasn't meant to stir things up. American is the natural to identify people from the USA. I love my cousins to the south (both my blood cousins and in the figurative way), and have had many travels there. I once counted, and have visited 28 States, met nice, down to earth folk in all my travels.

Even so, I am Canadian. That's all. In my region, we identify more with Mainers and Bostonians, than we do the rest of Canada, to tell the truth. Ayup!

xx

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Oubliette, I like that idea.

Yes, I'm from Cleveland. The one in Ohio.

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, Paul, I have a friend in Defiance,,,,, you are practically neighbours! :P

SBF,

Have you seen the biopic about Grey Owl, and if so, do you think it's historically accurate?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Not too far Talesin! A couple hours drive from where I live.
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Talesin, regarding the Grey Owl and Archibald Belaney, I was familar with him before this thread only because I dragged slimboyfat's avatar into Google image search some time ago. I read about his history because I was curious about why slimboyfat would choose that image. I couldn't know about the historical accuracy of what I read though.

edit: Oops, sorry Talesin, I just noticed the second part of your question wasn't directed toward me.

• talesin
    talesin

I'm sure SBF won't mind, and me neither! I'm gonna see what the library has; now my interest is piqued.

The flick is late 90s, called Grey Owl, well done and worth watching. And interested. It's fascinating to hear Slim's family history and indeed, who knows?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    For some reason, I always thought that was a picture of Johnny Cash, the Man in Black. LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit