About my avatar

by slimboyfat 30 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Questions from readers

Say, who is that in your avatar Slimboyfat? from brother I. M. Curious, USA.

That's Archibald Belaney aka Grey Owl. He was an English man in the early 20th century who emigrated to Canada, took on a Native American identity, and became an internationally celebrated conservationist. When it was revealed on his death that he wasn't really a Native American he lost public favour. Years after his death his star rose again as his conservation efforts were appreciated apart from his identity fraud and chequered life, and books were written and films made.

I like him for a number of reasons. I loved Native Americans when I was a wee boy. I read lots, tons of books about them, made my own bows and arrows and tipis, and played games involving them constantly. So the idea of a British person convincingly taking on the "Indian" way of life appealed very much to me when I heard about him from my grandad.

Plus in more recent years I am interested in the philosophical notion of authenticity and what it really means. I now doubt whether there is a meaningful distinction to be made between appearance and reality at all. Grey Owl appeared to be an articulate Native American interested in nature and conservation. He was convincing partly because he tapped into powerful stereotypes. In what meaningful sense was he a fraud? His rising star in modern culture in some ways mirrors our own questioning of the notion of authenticity itself.

Additionally in family folklore I'm told we have a connection with old Grey Owl. My great grandparents emigrated to Canada in 1930 and lived near Prince Albert in Saskatchewan for four years. My grandfather insisted his mother said she knew Grey Owl well in this period and he visited their lodge often. In fact my great aunt, my grandad's sister, strongly insinuated Grey Owl may have been my grandad's real father (born in 1932 near Prince Albert). True story? It doesn't sound likely. But not every implausible story is false just as not every convincing story is true. If they are meaningful distinctions.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Seems like every family ( I am in the US) has their story about a connection to Native Americans. We just love to think we're connected to the Native culture I guess. Sounds more interesting than 'My ancestors were penniless squatters for two centuries.'
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I have never been to America. I'd love to go, Prince Albert in particular.
  • HBH
    HBH

You may be interested in Morris Berman's writing/interviews especially about authentic life.Goggle for more info.

HBH

• talesin
    talesin

I thought the pic looked familiar. He is a part of our history, and that is a cool connection that your family has.

PS. Please dp not call Canada "America", that is akin to calling Scotland "Britain", ie, offensive. I know that would never be your intent.

Thank you. xx

*of the New Scotland (Nova Scotia) is my home class

• cofty
    cofty
    Please dp not call Canada "America", that is akin to calling Scotland "Britain", ie, offensive.

Am I not right in saying that Canada is part of North America which is made up of Canada and the USA?

Scotland is part of Britain so it is ok to say you visited Britain if you come to Edinburgh for example. The mistake foreigners tend to make its to refer to the whole of the United Kingdom as England.

• Simon
    Simon
    I have never been to America. I'd love to go, Prince Albert in particular

You know how American's are always complaining about the Mexicans on their southern border? I always tell Americans that they are our Mexicans (they love that).

Seriously, Canada is the best part of North America.

Am I not right in saying that Canada is part of North America which is made up of Canada and the USA?

Correct, as long as it's "North America" then it's the regional continent, "America" on it's own makes people think of the (dis) United States of America.

This explains the differentiation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
    I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
    and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
    although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
    I speak English and French, not American.
    And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
    I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
    diversity, not assimilation,
    and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
    A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
    and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
    The first nation of hockey!
    and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
    And I am Canadian!!!

• talesin
    talesin

Also, Canada has no affiliation with the USA. It is a completely different type of government,and not part of the Commonwealth. We have a different sensibility, and do not wish to be "americanized". Would you call someone from Argentina, American? (it's all part of 'the Americas') I think not.

Good question, Cofty.

tal

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Simon:

"You know how American's are always complaining about the Mexicans on their southern border? I always tell Americans that they are our Mexicans (they love that)."

Maybe one day you'll have a few million of us knocking at your borders.

• cofty
    cofty
    Would you call someone from Argentina, American?

I would call them South American

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit