Sign JW Data Protection Form Or Else!

by AverageJoe1 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

In Spain (and the rest of Europe), the "improved" Data Protection Laws come into force on 25th May 2018. This is a good thing and sadly America is still lagging behind; not surprising with their current president!

Watchtower Legal department are hot on the case and have instructed elders to hand out the new "release" forms out to all the publishers in their groups, whilst making it clear to them that they won't have any privileges if they refuse to do so!

Note these points in the instructions:

REFUSAL TO CONSENT
    10. An adult publisher might initially refuse to sign the Notice and Consent for Use of Personal Data (S-290) form. If this occurs, an elder should take the time to answer any questions the publisher may have. Often, a clear explanation can help the publisher to feel comfortable with providing consent. However, the publisher should not feel pressured to sign the form. If consent for the use of personal data is not provided, the affected individual may remain a publisher (baptised or unbaptised) and the congregation may keep his personal data related to his activity as a publisher, including the information recorded on the Congregation’s Publisher Record (S-21) card. However, the individual should be informed that the congregation or branch office may not be able to evaluate his suitability to fill certain roles within the congregation or participate in many congregation activities, such as serving as a regular pioneer, a ministerial servant, or an elder. His name or other personal data should not be posted on the information board, be entered on the jw.org website, or appear in any correspondence sent via jw.org e-mail. However, his limited personal data from the Congregation’s Publisher Record (S-21) card could be used on internal congregation documents. Additionally, if the congregation’s meetings are recorded for the purpose of being uploaded to JW Stream, the publisher could not be recorded in such congregation meetings.
    11. A parent or legal guardian might refuse to sign the Notice and Consent for Use of Personal Data form for a publisher who is a minor. If the minor is an unbaptised publisher, no personal data should be collected for him. Nor should a Congregation’s Publisher Record card be kept for him. The report of field service activity may be collected from the minor as long as his name is not written on the report. The count of the individual and his activity may then be added to the Congregation’s Field Service Report (S-1) that is submitted to the branch office. If the minor is a baptised publisher, two elders should contact the Service Department for direction.
    12. If at any time a publisher informs the elders that he wishes to revoke his consent for the congregation to use his personal data, two elders should call the Service Department immediately. The secretary should write the date of revocation on top of the Notice and Consent for Use of Personal Data form.

This gives them carte blanche to do as they will with your data: very scary indeed!

Here are the links to download them (in English and Spanish) via WeTransfer (only valid for 7 days):

Instructions: https://we.tl/V8lTt3BmrJ

Forms: https://we.tl/UbbtK9zXSQ

• sir82
    sir82

Wait - so even if they "refuse to consent", the congregation still keeps data records (on the S-21) anyway?

I admit I am no expert on data privacy laws, but that seems rather....counterintuitive.

I can see the point about not being able to serve as an elder, MS, etc. All those positions "require" the person's name to be splashed all over jw.borg, and if you don't give consent, then it seems their hands are tied.

On the other hand, "signed consent form" seems to be conspicuously missing from the list of elder / MS requirements from 1 Timothy chapter 3,

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Not a surprise. All organizations protect their data, no matter if their data is pure nonsense.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

The surprise, Scratchme is them telling you it will be transmitted to other countries with crappy Data Protection laws... like America for example.

My company’s Data Protection Policy clearly states that our customers Data WON’T be transferred to countries who don’t use the same standards of Data Protection.

Its not obligatory for an organisation to pass your data to their offices in other countries. Plus you can clearly state to a company that you don’t want your data being used outside the EU. Not so with the WT.

• vienne
    vienne

I would never sign the consent form.

• steve2
    steve2

It is an area that is very complicated. My understanding is that all businesses, organizations, clubs and limited liability groups are obliged by law to inform their members about the collection and storage of private information. I suspect it is not unique to JW organization.

To be fair, "advancement" in any group is premised on management having personal information on hand with which to make decisions. Therefore, if a member says, "I refuse to give my consent for you to collect any information about me, " a group has no basis for making decisions.

Employment situations are different from those of membership in "voluntary" organizations.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Looks like outside pioneering, that this is for men only.. wonder if there are a few sections to be answered: LIKE

Do you have a criminal record?

Have you been convicted or accused of child molestation? IF so, how long did you serve in prison?

There are privacy laws in Canada already

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Personal information is useful, personal data collected on large groups of people is valuable.

It was ony a matter of time before they did this, par for the course in their transformation into a cyber religion.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The instructions seem to give you a right to withdraw your consent at any time, reassuring heh?

12. If at any time a publisher informs the elders that he wishes to revoke his consent for the congregation to use his personal data, two elders should call the Service Department immediately. The secretary should write the date of revocation on top of the Notice and Consent for Use of Personal Data form.

But, be careful, the consent form has to be read with the policy statement on JWblobORG which says:

"If a publisher withdraws consent for the use of personal data, Jehovah’s Witnesses may be entitled to continue to use some personal data without such consent, based on the legitimate religious purposes of maintaining and administering worldwide membership information of Jehovah’s Witnesses or on another lawful ground provided for in the Data Protection Law."

Now, that stinks. Your data can continue to be used without your consent

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Can you imagine all the data they already have after years of this social experiment masquerading as a religion!

Now with everybody logging on to dot borg they will have access to a hell of a lot more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit