What is the number 3 talk?

by carla 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

I was enjoying the funny memes thread https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4796195022045184/funny-ex-jw-memes

but what is the number 3 talk? there were a few references to that particular talk. thanks in advance.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The number 3 talk is the one given by sisters.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

The one given after the number 2 and before the 4th

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I've always wanted the bro's to have to do a talk with a "householder" They complain how hard it is to give a talk, try making up a scenario as well as what the other person is going to say.

Hi Gloria - I'm sorry you have a terminal illness. Can I show you from the bible, how it gives us a hope for the future, whether we are alive or dead?

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

What days of future passed said! Our School Overseer seemed to take perverse delight in assigning talks with bizarre settings, assigning topics that were not age appropriate for the householder or counsel points that were not applicable to the material. Ever try to give a talk on the meaning of Daniel's dream image, the 70 Weeks of Years or some random WT numerology from Revelation in five minutes? I was having panic attacks before talks at the end of my stint as as JW.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

lol Sail Away - talk about anxiety over making them! I would rewrite it like up to the day of the talk. You had to make another sister take time out of their lives to practice.

And I think the WT took perverse pleasure in how they made a listing of (what did they call them?) guidelines or make believe settings? And you were supposed to use only one of them and then move on to another. I had one zealous ex bethelite conductor change my setting right before I gave the talk - because I had already used it! It made no sense with the talk I was giving.

On the other hand, the bro's just stood at the front and passed out info. Nothing complicated.

• oppostate
    oppostate

As a school overseer I had more than once had to do a #3 talk.

Whenever the sister cancelled with short notice and no subs rose up to the occasion.

In which cases it was handled as a #4.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I remember the school overseer asking me how long I took to prepare a talk 3 and I said about four hours. He said four hours for a four minute talk is way too long, you only needed to spend half an hour on it.

Yes but what about arranging to meet with the other 'sister' and rehearsing it? Yeah and as days of future past says, working out what the householder should say, making it sound fairly realistic.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I found it difficult to get the assigned "householder" to practice. They nearly always wanted to meet right before the meeting and go over it in the library. Of course, this brought dirty looks from the school overseer for not preparing ahead of time.

Then there was the alcoholic sister that, even with my note cards in front of her, asked the wrong opening question. I said, 'That's an interesting question, we can cover that in next week's study.' And gave the talk filling in her parts.

One time, a know-it-all elderette refused to give me notes. She basically said, I should do the research and wing it. Another time I sat in on a study with her and a Catholic nun. She, the JW sister, didn't even crack the Bible open in over an hour.

Interestingly, this elderette's husband went rogue and had to be pulled off the stage. He was DF'd for apostasy and took about half of their prominent extended JW family with him. He kept on repeating, "Always remember your Mother." I never figured out what he meant. He later sent me a book he had written about his issues with JW doctrine. I circular filled it.

Fun times!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Sail Away wrote: "...assigning topics that were not age appropriate for the householder..."

I was 9 when my parents started studying with the JWs and was the first in my newly-studying family to join the Theocratic Ministry School (TMS).

The talk assigned to me to create a skit/dialog with an adult? 'Court Judicial - The Sanhedrin'.

Seriously.

And I had to leave girl scouts and art lessons and gymnastics to join that childhood-stealing organization that told my parents we had to donate ALL our personal time and interests in order to gain everlasting live.

F'n, lying, child-hating cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit