Dignified Death...Assisted Dying Your Views

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Thomasdam
    Thomasdam

End of life is just hard. There is no good outcome only less bad. Why a person should not have a right to end their life in a dignified and painless way when they have a terminal illness. I have seen people die of brain cancer and organ failure and Alzheimer. There is no good outcome to this kind of illness. In the brain cancer situation she was a sister married for years to an elder. She died wasted away. You would not know who she was if not told. She would curse and scream not knowing what was going on. It was horrible. The organ failure, he died bit by bit. Wasting away till the last couple of days he went into a coma. Alzheimer is horrible, they bit by bit lose who they are till they are needing help to eat and stand in a corner looking at the wall now knowing who they are or where. They know something is wrong for much of this process. To deny it for yourself is your right to deny it to someone else is criminal.

• Simon
    Simon

As long as there are sufficient controls to protect the vulnerable, I think it should be allowed in principle.

If someone's life is too painful to continue, they should be able to make the choice to die when they want.

People are allowed to make the choice to give their lives saving, rescuing or protecting others and they are hailed as heros. So we as a society are OK with the idea of people giving up their lives.

One of the leading causes of death is medical malpractice so apparently we're also OK with Doctors killing people.

It's just putting those things together.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I agree with it for terminally ill patients that are suffering painfully and /or are going into a vegetable state where they will have no control over there bodily functions ,they should be able to end there life in a dignified way .

• zeb
    zeb

Anyone who speaks against assisted death has not worked in a nursing home.

Assisted dying does not mean forced medications on some one who is confused it does not mean 'grannie is a bit odd so lets bump her off' it means people as I have sign a will that says if they are beyond any hope of any quality of life they should be allowed to die or given the option of a help.

It used to be set up in the Northern Territory ( Australia) that IV were put in place a mild anaesthetic was given and when the person wished to go they had only to touch any key on computer keyboard that controlled the fatal doses of what ever was given. But the do-gooders stopped it.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have witnessed a few individuals who passed away, and the extreme pain they were in, but the one that sticks out the most in my memory was my friend's father. His cancer had totally wrecked him to the point to get relieved that he actually had both his legs and arms amputated. First, it was his legs, and then a short time later it was his arms. Neither of those did any good in relieving his pain. He suffered greatly for a couple of months after that till he finally passed away. No matter how much drugs they put in him, it did nothing to bring him relief. He wanted to die, but his family would not hear of it, they wanted to keep him alive and with them as long as they could. So yes, I feel that it should be up to the person when they would want to die.

• stillin
    stillin

It seems like, if an infant can be terminated while it has no say in the matter at all, a grown person should be able to speak for himself.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

A guy can walk into a mosque and shoot dead 49 innocent people and have his 'right to life' respected but an old guy can travel to Switzerland and people at Dignitas can kill him.

I find this strange.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I watched my Father die at home. We decided to stop the nutrition being placed in the J tube, so there were no more extreme struggles going to the bethroom. He was unable to speak, and barely concious. His kidneys were already failing, and he was on a catheter so he didn't have to deal with that. The Dr made sure we had enough morphine to use as needed. Dad was sitting back somewhat in a recliner during this time. He didn't have to worry about the swallowing problem. We would give him safe doses of morphine when he was concious and ask first if he wanted it. He would close his mouth tight when he did not, so we wouldn't or not close his mouth and we would. He did have pain with his stomach junction cancer.

Early in the morning my sister and brother in law, who had the turn of staying up all night with him, said it was time as his breathing was irregular, and he was not concious. ( I am not sure if they gave him a large dose of morphine or not. I will not ask.) We all got around him closely held his hands and told him "It's ok you can go now. We are here and will take care of Mom for you". He slipped away without pain.

This should be an option for anyone in this terminal condition. It was a special gift for him to be at home in his last weeks of life. In his own chair, surrounded by his family around that he could hear. ( He had gone blind, I think, as he was trying to sign this out to me at one point after he lost his ability to talk.)

Assisted death, or allowing a death with no interventions to prolong life, is hardest on the family. For the person who needs it, it is a gift like no other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit