Does anybody know how to establish Credit?

by Nomad Soul 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caligirl
    caligirl

Order a copy of your credit report and make sure that there is nothing on there that does not belong to you, such as you bought a home when you were 2 or something ridiculous like that!

You should be able to get off of chexsystems by clearing up the problem with the bank that reported you. It should only stay on there if it is unresolved.

The secured credit card is probably the best way to go, and then 6 months- a year of good payment history should get you an unsecured card. Lenders are also looking for stability - if you hop jobs or residences frequently you are considered high risk, and that can harm your chances of approval.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Part of what I do involves extending credit to people.

Best bet is to get a secured, or partial secured credit card with your bank. ATM Visa's do not count.

Once you get one, you will be on your way. First time out, buy a cheaper car, for your interest rate will be higher. Once you pay that one off, then go for a new, more expensive car, after you have already established yourself.

Pay all your bills on time, and don't max your credit cards to the limit.

Be patient, it won't take too long before you are credit worthy.

Credit is everything in this world, make sure you keep it good.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Oh...and did somebody say pay your bills, ALL OF THEM, on time?

And don't fall into the trap I was almost talked into early in life by non other than a JW who instructed me to run up all my credit, not pay for it, then, if you have to, file bankruptcy as a lot of them did during their rush headlong into the 1975 fiasco. You'll find yourself starting over and having to pay high interest all over again about every 7 to 10 years.

• amac
    amac

Along with all the advice to pay your bills ON TIME...if you go the route of a secured credit card or maybe a Sears card or some type of department store card...save up some money in cash, buy something on the credit card and then pay it off over one to two bills. In otherwords, always try to pay MORE than the minimum payment required on a credit card. This will raise your credit rating score if they see that you are actually trying to pay off debt rather than just max out cards and pay the minimum forever.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

It is absolutely possible to have NO credit. Bad credit is a totally different story.

If you have no credit, you will need to obtain at least one reportable credit instrument and maintain it for a period of time. The key word here is "reportable". Simply getting an apartment and paying your rent on time will do nothing for your credit rating. The only items that affect your rating are those that are actually reported at least one of the three major credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax). While your options for obtaining reportable credit are limited, there are a few ways you can do this:

1. Open a regular checking account, and a direct deposit savings account: Many banks will be willing to allow you to open a checking account even if you have limited (or non-existent) credit history. In addition, set up a savings account at the same time, and have a regular amount (a small amount is fine) transferred into in from your checking account. You may be required to keep a minimum balance in the account and may not immediately qualify for a debit card, but being able to list your checking and savings accounts (assuming you keep them in good standing) on a credit application is a mark in your favor. Also, your bank may be much more willing to extend a loan to you in the future if you've built a favorable history with them.

2. Apply for a Secured Credit Card: A secured credit card is an arrangement by which you pay the credit issuing company a specific sum of money (the minimum is usually around 300 dollars but can that can vary) which they hold as a form of collateral. In return, they will issue you a credit card with a credit limit generally equal to the amount of your deposit with them. You can then use the card to make normal purchases up to your credit limit. It is very important that you pay AT LEAST your minimum payment on time (preferably, your payment should be posted to your account day or two earlier than the due date) Using this card prudently for a period of six months to a year will raise your credit score by as much as 50-75 points.

3. Purchase a vehicle through the financing company of a major car manufacturer: Generally, while your local bank branch may decline your loan application based on lack of credit for an automobile purchase, you can still have credit extended to you by the financing department affiliated with major dealerships. (For example, if you are purchasing a car from a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealer, GMAC may be willing to loan you the funds for your purchase) Be warned that your interest rate will undoubtedly be higher than traditional standard car loan rates, but the extra percentage points are worth it if you build a favorable credit history as a result. Additionally, after a certain amount of time (2 years is recommended) your newly established credit history may allow you to refinance the loan at your local bank at a lower interest rate (and thus a lower monthly payment).

These are the three best ways to build/improve your credit rating. One other important factor that will affect whether a lender will extend credit to you without a good history is whether you have a consistent job history. You're much more likely to get a loan if you've been with one company for a period of time, and have lived in the same place for an extended period of time as well. It's also wise to stay away from offers that scream out "Repair your credit!" or "We loan to anyone". These deals are generally not worth the higher rates, fees, and hidden costs--and your favorable credit behavior may not even reported to the bureaus for consideration in your score.

The most important factor in building a credit history is TIME. Yes, it's going to take a while. At the VERY least, you'll need 6 months of favorable (even outstanding) credit behavior before you'll have new credit opportunities extended to you. Since you don't have any unfavorable credit items on your history, and are simply building new credit, you're already ahead of the game. Good luck, and remember to spend wisely. Your credit rating will follow you and impact you for the rest of your life.

• Francois
    Francois

After my divorce, I was in need of repairing my credit. So I went to one of those "Tote Your Note" type car lots where they finance their cars themselves. They don't sell off your loan to a bank or anything like that. I picked out a nice car, a Buick Regal LTD with every option known to man, three years old, five thousand dollars.

I told the guy at the lot that I was rebuilding my credit after a divorce. I had few bills and BIG determination. I was approved for the credit.

Three weeks later, I got one of those "You have been pre-approved for an American Express Card. Just fill out this simple application" etc., etc. I thought RIGHT, Amex is going to send one of their cards to ME. Sure they are. So just for grins, I filled out the form and sent it in and forgot about it. Ten days later I get a letter from American Express and low and behold, there was an American Express Card in there. Well. I paid that card balance off every month like it was a religion. I still have that card. They have tried to get me to take a Gold Card, a Platinum Card, a Titanium Card, their eldest daughter, whatever. None of those ego cards do anything that a plain old green card does. The annual fee for them is up to about $300.00 however.

Then I saved up $500.00 and went to my own bank and got a secured Visa card with a $500.00 limit. (Now it's up to $12,000.00. (My current balance is $38.15) I've never made a late payment.

It wasn't long before every credit card company in the universe was sending me cards. NOT applications, but actual CARDS! Already warm and ready to use.

And that's how I re-built my credit.

Just takes a little patience and knowing what to do.

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit