DFed talking to other DFed

by blownaway 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blownaway
    blownaway
    I don't know if they do this any longer but back in the day they had a special section at an assembly sectioned off for DFed people who would have to wear a ribbon that said disfellowshipped. Do they still do this and what was the rules on DFed talking to DFed at the assembly?
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

What? Never heard of that in 60 years. Totally bonkers.

Italian section there, Spanish there deaf at the front there. Disfellowshipped at the back there. Perhaps that's what the purple triangle really was.

• steve2
    steve2

Agree with Slidin Fast: Totally bonkers. Given that untold numbers of disfellowshipped individuals go to conventions without any intention of ever being reinstated, it is hard to imagine how a ribbon arrangement would work. I know of at least two elderly disfellowshipped individuals who take their still-in elderly but disabled spouses to conventions - would they be forcibly separated from their disabled spouses? Who would supply the ribbons? How far in advance would you order them? What if a disfellowshipped individual were "found" sitting in a non-disfellowshipped area? Would they be bodily taken to the disfellowshipped area? And wouldn't a special seating arrangement draw attention to them? And how many seats would be set aside? 10? 50? 100? 100 plus.

Let me guess where the OP heard about this "arrangement": The rumor mill.

• blownaway
    blownaway

I can clearly remember assemblies where there were sections and ribbons. My mother pointed it out and said don't talk to people with that ribbon. This was late 60s.

• freddo
    freddo

Absolutely not true. In over 50 years of JW'ism including running stupid departments at assemblies and being an attendant "captain" at assemblies I have never heard of such a thing.

• steve2
    steve2

I can clearly remember assemblies where there were sections and ribbons. My mother pointed it out and said don't talk to people with that ribbon. This was late 60s.

I attended conventions in the 1960s. I can remember my mother and relatives pointing out people who were disfellowshipped but they were not "kept" in a designated area and they certainly did not have ribbons.

• blownaway
    blownaway

I don't think the area was a coral they had to stay in, it was a designated seating. Could it have been a one of. I don't know. I know they had seating in a designated area and a badge type ribbon that said disfellowshipped. I don't remember it after the 60s but I know it was several assemblies in our area as a kid at that time.

• Incognito
    Incognito

I started attending in the early 1960s and never recall any such identification or designated areas.

A large number of DF'd and DA'd persons clearly identified as such and sitting in one area, would likely make an unwanted statement to the other attendees.

With regards to DF'd persons speaking with one another, I believe WT continues to prohibit such activity. Of course, unless the person wishes to be reinstated, why would a DF'd person care what WT prohibits.

I have heard where a DF'd person was pulled aside by an elder and 'counselled' against speaking with another DF'd person. The DF'd person's response was WT's rules are for JWs in good standing so he can speak with anyone he wishes.

• blownaway
    blownaway
    I asked my wife and she does not remember it either but I do. I believe it was a circuit assembly a small one but could not say where. Northern Michigan, Canada area I would assume. Could have been some localized thing. I do remember it tough. But I would have been 7 to 9 YO.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I dont know where blownaway is but I have been around this organization 65 years and never seen it or heard of it.

Fake news!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit