The Organizations obsession with image.

by BourneIdentity 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Does anybody notice how sometimes he'll grow his hair out thick and a little long in the back? Jackson did it as well sometimes. Definitely not within Bethel barbershop guidelines, but they can get away with it no questions asked.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor
    Sometimes it seems to me that the main point to rhetoric like that is making Jehovah's Witnesses think that they're so important, that everyone watches them, everyone monitors them.
  • HiddenPimo
    HiddenPimo

This is a very underrated post.

EVERYTHING in the BORG centers around appearances.

ALL judicial cases and the subsequent discipline to be meted out are based on how much notoriety is associated with the event.

Having served as an elder in the past - I have seen with my own eyes a case result in private reproof with an unmarried couple having sex like rabbits many times and then another brother gets a BJ and it was found out by many in the area due to social media and he got Disfellowshipped.

Look at the Leaked Elders manual and you will see after every cause for a judicial case, the question "How well know is the sin?"

In reality based on their teaching shouldn't it be.... :-)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

that everyone watches them, everyone monitors them.

Well in essence they are being constantly watched by elders who are set to scrutinize and be judgmental over the congregates.

You are be screened to how you dress, what music you are listening to, what movies you see, what books you are reading, what education your pursuing, who you are associating with, what is you participation at the meetings.

The pretentiousness of righteousness is deeply entwined in the JWS religion, who they themselves proclaim that they are the most righteous Christian organization on earth.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course the Org is image-obsessed.

WTF else have they got?

:smirk:

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

With you 100% Finkelstein, but that's attention they don't want. They don't want the elders watching them. They do want the world watching them, supposedly to see how different they are, how righteous they are, how special they are. That kind of attention can feel positive if you truly believe people watch you for being different. Different to them means good.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Conformity is in the DNA of every born-in JW. It is especially true in the branch offices and Bethels.............In that they seem to want everyone to look the same.

Based on recent GB dress codes IBM would have been a good match for the WTBTS....IBM famously required engineers to wear white shirts with starched collars, black ties and dark grey, black or brown suits.....and of course no beards!

This IBM look still prevails in most Kingdom Halls.

So it really wasn't about spirituality, or faith it was all about looking very corporate.

• zeb
    zeb

re overweight.

I have said it before but its my observation that jw are as a group the unhealthiest of people.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Long time ago, there was an article about Gluttony. A sister in my hall, she was funny and nice and overweight. That article made her feel bad because she recognized that being overweight made her a glutton. But I wouldn't say she sat around eating. She wasn't tremendously big either.

Then you see the heavy weight GB's. They look like their suits are just barely fitting them. What really gets me is the picture that was in a WT, that showed a little skinny old sister with two tupperware containers in her fridge, being encouraged to donate what little money she had, to the big greedy GB. They are the pigs in Animal farm indeed.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In a congregation I was in a brother got caught up in a quick rich scheme and he was walking around in a T-shirt that said "Lose weight Ask Me how " not at the meetings of course .

but the funny thing was he had a 5 gallon Keg Beer Belly on display ?

Why would he think anybody would take him seriously ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit