Lurkers: Is it true that no servant of Jehovah in the bible celebrated birthdays?

by juandefiero 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

Did you know that Job's family celebrated birthdays? The word translated "his own day" at Job 1:4 is the same word translated "day of his birth" in Job 3:1.

Seems deceptive, does it not, to change that translation. Almost as if this scripture was creating cognitive dissonance in the discerning reader.

Also, regarding things that used to have pagan origins, the Awake magazine had this to say: "A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues." - 9/22/03 Awake! p. 24

What are your thoughts on this?

• Alive!
    Alive!

It's deceptive. Who could argue otherwise?

I'm not desperate to celebrate holidays, but I'm no longer in awe of the deceptive and changing tactics the Watchtower uses to play their 'argument'.

The piñata issue absolutely did it for me.

The piñata Is steeped in religious superstition and symbolism involving demons and 'evil spirits' yet apparently it is considered benign and nothing like the wicked Xmas tree, toasting, candles on cakes, wind chimes and all manner of modern day customs that no longer hold spiritistic meaning.

I wonder why?

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    How about bridesmaids? They were meant to confuse the devil from finding out who the real couple was. That is why they would all dress alike. Yet most JW weddings here in my area would have them.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Russell was moving away from any sort of inter denominational Christian fellowship by the end of his career/life. Rutherford just continued the process to its logical conclusion: That being the total destruction of any form of ecumenical feelings between the Bible students and all other Christian denominations. This was done to demarcate the separateness and exclusivity of the Bible students.

That same attitude is cultivated in Jehovah's Witnesses today. If Christians have a practice or a new trend then Jehovah's Witnesses are automatically suspicious even if the Governing Body has made no specific pronouncement on the matter. Why? Because the idea of separateness is what counts and correctness or being reasonable is secondary. Case and point: Clambake just posted a topic where his wife and the congregation held a party on January 2 but she could not go to the Nov 15 end of year company shindig. Its all about separateness. The idea that you're in a new spiritual Israel and like the Israel of the OT you have to keep away from everybody and everything because Yahweh will have a conniption fit if you don't.

The practices the Witnesses object to are actually irrelevant. Its just done to contradict and disagree with every other denomination.

BTW I love your avatar and the word ecumenical, therefore a quote by Jack Sparrow: [to Weatherby Swann]

"I think we've all arrived at a very special place... spiritually, ecumenically... grammatically."

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

If I remember from previous research on the topic the days you're referring to seemed to be celebrated in succession, so unless they were each born one day apart it wouldn't make sense. Additionally, if memory serves it was during one of those times where the kids were all killed by a tornado, again even if they were birthdays not a ringing endorsement.

With that said, my wife and I kind of celebrated ours for the first time last year, and nothing happened. We did disassociate a couple weeks following my birthday though. Best gift ever.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    If I remember from previous research on the topic the days you're referring to seemed to be celebrated in succession, so unless they were each born one day apart it wouldn't make sense. Additionally, if memory serves it was during one of those times where the kids were all killed by a tornado, again even if they were birthdays not a ringing endorsement.

The days in succession idea is a Watchtower fabrication.

Many commentaries agree that it was birthdays they were celebrating.

Pulpit Commentary

Every one his day. Most commentators regard these feasts as birthday festivities. Each son in his turn, when his birthday arrived, entertained his six brothers. Others think that each of the seven brothers had his own special day of the week on which, he received his brothers at his table, so that the feasting was continuous. But this scarcely suits the context. And it is admitted that "his day" (in Job 3:1) means "his birthday." The celebration of birthdays by means of a feast was a very widespread custom in the East.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

every one his day—namely, the birthday (Job 3:1).

Benson Commentary

Every one his day — Not every day of the week and of the year, which would have been burdensome to them all, and gross luxury, and which certainly such a holy man as Job would not have permitted; but each his appointed day, perhaps his birth- day, or the first day of the month. It is certain the same expression, יומו, jomo, his day, means his birth-day, Job 3:1. “The verse,” says Dr. Dodd, “might be rendered, And his sons had a constant custom to make a family feast, every one on his birth-day; and they sent and invited their three sisters,” &c. According to Herodotus, the inhabitants of the East in general, and especially the Persians, were remarkable for celebrating their birthdays with great festivity and luxury.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible

Every one his day - In his proper turn, or when his day came round. Perhaps it refers only to their birthdays; see Job 3:1, where the word "day" is used to denote a birthday. In early times the birthday was observed with great solemnity and rejoicing.

• Aroq
    Aroq

John's birth was met with rejoicing Luke 1:58

Issac/Abraham Genesis 21:8. It was custom for children to be weened on their 3rd birthday, and Abraham provided a great feast on that day. Please research this for yourself as far as weening goes.

There are more, but the real question is what is the WT reasoning on not celebrating birthdays? Wasn't it because Herod had John the Baptist beheaded and Pharaoh had the baker killed. So someone died and that is the reason no? Well then afternoon naps should be held in the same regard. No good JW woman should be giving their child a nap in the afternoon!!!!! 2 Samuel 4:5-7

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Job celebrated his birthday

Watchtower overtly covers it to keep you from celebrating yours

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The Hebrew could mean birthdays or it could mean they took turns (each on their own day) it is not clear which. One of the best respected authorities, Gesenius's grammar of Hebrew, agrees with the JWs on this one that it means "take turns". If I remember correctly.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    @Juan. Hmmm....maybe I got the successive days idea from them. It's been a while. How about the tornado? If that was during such a feast the dubs would use it like all of the others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit