Do Jehovah's Witnesses view the governing body differently since seeing them on the TV?

by jambon1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have seen comments from sycophants about "how lovely the GB are on tv" ....However the older ones in my family who tell me what they really think ,say that they look nuts and are irritating . They say it was better when the GB kept a discreet distance from the brothers and had a mystique

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

It's absolutely had an effect. For years the majority of JWs would have never seen the GB except for a video clip or if they were 'lucky' enough to get a member at a convention or assembly. Unless you were a Bethelite or in some other full time service, you'd never see them.

Now the rank and file see them all the time and talk about them a lot more. They describe them almost like reality TV stars, discussing things they said and their personalities. They're basically celebs now.

For the rank and file, they eat this shit up. They talk about them all the time even in casual conversation. For those out or doubting is has the opposite effect, proving that it really is just a man made organization.

• Chook
    Chook

It doesn't say much for God choice of his representatives, when these men are seen at assemblies it gives the audience a free circus. Think of the 12 apostles then think of the 7 apostles, it hurts the brain. Appearing on tv is dumbest public relations move or gods on OUR side by revealing the truth of these guys

• sparky1
    sparky1

"and now, another stimulating Bible based lecture from our head 'BOZO'.........Brother Steven Lett! But first a moment of 'financial begging' from that other great and glorious 'BOZO'.............David Splane.........................."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep, I am sure that many witnesses are secretly having "what the heck?" moments when they see these "glorious ones" on the broadcasts....

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Good on sparky!

JBorg broadcasts are a bit like creepy clown sightings that last for an hour or so and more irritatingly they talk aswell.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Don't tell me the witnesses are lapping up this nonsense?

Okay.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Trump debating on TV and GB on TV. They both lost credibility.

• smiddy
    smiddy

You would have to be an imbecile to believe these men were chosen by the Almighty GOD To represent him as the spokespersons for him before the Tribulation and armageddon .

100 + years of flip flops , back flips ,new light - old light , usuing a Catholic monk translation of the name of GOD Jehovah ,even though Yahweh is the more accepted version of his name,

100 + years of Christ jesus rule since 1914 , that hasnt accomplished anything noteworthy ? nothing that couldnt be claimed by any other Christian Religion during that time period.

• dozy
    dozy

I have wondered about this and I know Lloyd ( of JWSurvey ) feels this very strongly is a great mistake by the Society to give the GB airtime & exposure. Far better keeping them low profile and "behind the curtain".

When I was a JW nobody really knew who the GB was - the whole "Society" thing was kind of morphed into a homogenous concept of the whole organisation. The average JW would have struggled to name more than 2 or 3.

Jack Barr occasionally used to visit our congregation as he had relatives here and he seemed a kindly , nice , decent old man , though nobody treated him as anyone special ( and he would have hated that anyway. ) Looking back , it ( wrongly ) reinforced my assumption ( not that I ever gave it much thought , sadly ) that the GB were studious , "spiritual" men who were "taking the lead".

I know even when I was most "strong in the truth " ( by JW parlance ) I would felt uneasy had I been exposed to these often quite weird men with their bizarre pet hates like "tight pants" etc being regarded as Christ's brothers. I'm sure it would have initiated my research & eventual exit much sooner than it eventually happened and I'm sure it must be having an effect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit