Evolution is a Fact #36 - Mass Extinctions

by cofty 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
  • cofty
    cofty

It may be true that human activity is creating a new extinction event. However the first five mass extinctions didn't require our help.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty, evolution may be a fact. I won't dispute that, but let's cut to the chase. You back this up with this quote " Here is a summary of all five of the mass extinction events taken from the BBC website..." I am speechless. Please tell me on the wider spectrum HOW SERIOUSLY do you take BBC summaries?

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    Please tell me on the wider spectrum HOW SERIOUSLY do you take BBC summaries? - The Rebel

As a simple summary of basic science I have no doubt it is reliable. Why are you speechless?

BBC Learning is a great resource.

• cofty
    cofty

My OP was based on a variety of resources.

The summary of the five mass extinctions was based on this one..

Here is another good BBC resource you might enjoy..

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty, no disrespect but I think you are better than " a simple summary of basic science" from the BBC. And my final analysis is as you say, the BBC is a great resource for basic learning. In my opinion that's as far as it goes having delved into the wider spectrum of the BBC, and it's issues on politics and science. I believe the BBC should always be addressed on a deeper and in most cases a more scientific level than the target audience of the producers.

No disrespect.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    no disrespect but I think you are better than " a simple summary of basic science" from the BBC

Rebel, my point was made in my OP which was based on research in a number of sources. I wanted to underline the point that this was just one of five mass extinctions so I quickly posted a very brief summary. If you can see any errors in the BBC summary please let me know.

What has the leftie sandal-wearing, tree hugging, multicultural-loving political bias of the BBC got to do with the usefulness of it's education resources?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty the BBC is a comfort blanket for people who don't take the subject seriously enough to research deeper. That is my opinion, and in cases I have researched on the BBC, they are not a decent reference for fact, only a thank you for as you say basic knowledge,

That is the problem with the BBC and it's educational resources. If people are genuinely interested in what the BBC say, they need apply " independent thinking" similar to the hunger most JWs are not willing to investigate, to find a more informed knowledge.

Ok I call it lavortory paper or I may call it toilet paper, but if we limit our " facts" to what the BBC say, we have learnt nothing. Having had our thinking controlled by the Jehovers Witness organisation we should know better.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    Ok I call it lavortory paper or I may call it toilet paper - The Rebel

I have not got a clue what you are going on about.

The BBC are responsible for some of the best natural history and science documentaries in the history of broadcasting.

if we limit our " facts" to what the BBC say...

In my 36 threads in this series so far it is my first use of the BBC Nature website. My threads are based on dozens of sources. 

If for some odd reason you don't trust the corporation type "mass extinctions" into google and take your pick from the 843,000 results. In my browser the BBC are the first result which is why I chose it for my supplementary post. However they all say roughly the same.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I incline to Smiddy’s point that the benighted creationist or JW hasn’t got a clue as to the reality of the geological record and therefore have little chance of interpreting it. (How could any geologist be a creationist?)

The Watchtower, in trying to defend its own fairyland vision of reality has decreed that radiometric dating is false and that you can’t trust either science or scientists and that the Bible is the only authority etc. Poor JWs simply do not know which way is up, they are beginning to look like simpletons.

However this does not stop us imparting the facts as you are doing so well. Your post makes it apparent to me is that we are the children of chance. We happen to be alive, albeit fleetingly, when Earth can support human life and amazingly we have only recently developed an awareness of ourselves as sentient animals, able to know and describe our planet's dynamic past and also the present universe... and hazard a guess at the likely future.

Life is precious as Louis Armstrong sang, “It’s a wonderful world”, unless that is, your brain has been contaminated by Watchtower or creationist propaganda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit