Is it OK for JW employees to sell lottery tickets?

by Iamallcool 29 Replies latest jw friends

• tepidpoultry
  • schnell
    schnell

Waaaaaaay back when I was a grocery store bag boy, I realized really quick that I had no interest in keeping up dumb rules about conscience like this. I just did my job.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

How about condoms for fornication???.....If you won the lottery would your JW family members turn down a few thousand bucks from you????If you are a JW and win the lottery,, would they DF's you????

• schnell
    schnell

@James Mixon: I had a roommate who was studying at the time a few years back. I sat in on the study, and he asked an interesting question.

If someone played the lottery and won, and donated the money to the society, would they accept it and would he be disfellowshipped?

The brother and I reasoned at the time that they would not accept it... Now I am not so sure. It's a donation, right?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

James Mixson, i will have mixed feelings if I give them something. I will not give them money, etc so they will not shun me anymore. If I win the lottery, I will give careful thought about which family members will inherit the money if something happens to me.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It reminds me of the Minister who preached about the evil of playing the lottery, his wife won. His next sermon, how God work in mysterious

ways. Article "The minister's wife and lotto, A little sin pays off for church". Feb.3, 1988 BY Hugh Dellios...LOL

And yes schnell they would accept it as a blessing from Jehovah......Lamallcool:Not one cent would they receive from me.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As mentioned earlier, anything "incidental" to one's employment is OK and considered a conscience matter ... tobacco, lottery, etc.

As long as the items are not the primary business, then it is OK.

Rub a Dub

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

So no JW should enter the corner liquor store, well i guess it's ok booze is just fine among JW's.

• schnell
    schnell

Here's one: Can a dub work in a sex toy shop, or patronize one?

My friend had a great response to that. If a brother catches you in there, the fact is, he's there too.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That is not "incidental" to one's employment schnell, there's only one thing you are shopping for. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit