"You Should Not Even Eat With Any Such Person".

by Englishman 40 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

A grain of salt:

I highly doubt it was in the secretary's job description to make tea for customers.

Maybe she just did not like doing it, and she found an excuse not to in this case.

cellmould

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I highly doubt it was in the secretary's job description to make tea for customers.

Maybe she just did not like doing it, and she found an excuse not to in this case.

Cello,

I am a secretary in the US, so there may be society differences here...

No it is not in my job description to make tea (or coffee) for anyone in my office. But I do. Why? Because it's the hospitable thing to do. So even if it wasn't her desire to make tea AT ALL, telling a specific person WHY they weren't making them tea is imo rude. Especially in this scenario. It's a dig. It's an action making a point. It's an action of superiority. Why couldn't she just NOT offer...rather than saying she wasn't going to offer? There's a difference. But then again, most of us understand JWs aren't the most hospitable to those they judge.

Andi

• rocketman
    rocketman

Billygoat, I see the contradiction too.

Hey, maybe the whole reason she won't serve you tea Englishman is because you never took her up on her flirtations years ago.

• undercover
    undercover

If the secretary in the normal course of her job, is expected to prepare tea or coffee for clients or superiors, and in fact does so on a regular basis, then refusing to do the same for this one client(whether an XJW or not) is cause for disciplipinary action, up to and including dismissal. If this secretary does not ordinarily fix tea or coffee for clients and is not expected to by her superiors, then refusing to for this one client is not a discilipinary action(though maybe not smart to upset a client). That would be a standard HR answer to the question.

As for her chatting and enjoying the company of the client, an XJW, she is probably in error according to WTS policy. Refusing to fix tea did not change the fact that she was fraternizing with one has "turned away from what is righteous". To keep with WTS policy she could actually fix the tea(if part of job description) but should avoid conversation outside of anything work related.

This actually shows that most sincere JWs are not sure of their own policies and deep down find it very hard to shun people. It hurts good people when they have to be un-loving and un-kind. It goes against their very nature. That should tell them something.

• minimus
    minimus

If saying HELLO is considered wrong, extending hospitality is being a sharer in their sins. I believe that the Watchtower Society is more guilty than any Pharisee ever was.

• Francois
    Francois

I think that we're missing the root of the problem. And, as with so many problems in the Greek-Aramaic scriptures, the problem here is Paul. Paul represents the victory of himself over Jesus; he was an organizer, an "A" personality apparently with a dash of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

You all ever go out in typical "young person" door-to-door "service" when there was a convert in the car group (as opposed to a person who had been jerked up in the truth?). Remember the horror when you slowed down to about 80 mph to toss in a WT through the door of a laundromat? Remember the expression painted on the face of the convert as you wheeled into the nearest Waffle House? And remember how this disapproval turned into outright rage and disbelief as everyone ordered up a breakfast that would keep a lumberjack in good shape till at least noon? All this turning to shock and disgust when it took a good hour and a half to consume all these eggs, and bacon, and hashbrowns and coffee and grease? You could just see the hardening determination on the face of the convert never to go in service with this group of reprobates ever again?

That was a demonstration of the attitude of another convert type person, Saul of Tarsus. If he wasn't preaching balls to the wall, he wasn't happy. And where Jesus had left plenty of wiggle room for a person to express his appreciation as he wished, Paul took care of such liberality, slamming the door shut on any but attitudes in others that perfectly mirrored his own. Paul indeed represents the victory of himself over Jesus Christ.

And now we have a bunch of senile octogenarians in Brooklyn who operate in the same manner as Paul.

Jesus ignored the groaning and fault-finding and garment ripping of the scribes and Pharisees of his day and went about doing that which he knew his father approved. I know you've known elders just like Paul who must have been behind each and every tree every Saturday and Sunday afternoon. C.B. Mitchell in Austell, GA was just like that. However, I haved it on good authority that he's still dead.

My point is that it seems that some troglodyte can come along in the form of a C.B. Mitchel and be just as conservative and unloving as he wishes and that's fine. However, you let some brother come alone who is loving and compassionate and helpful and the body of elders comes down on them like a load of male bovine excrement. Once again Paul gains the ascendency over Jesus and it just ain't fittin', it ain't fittin' at all.

The organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is in reality the organization of Saul of Tarsus, several degrees more reliable than the clear statements of The Master. So who will you follow? Will you follow Paul and gain the approval of Osama bin Laden, or will you follow Jesus and gain the approval of the the Universal Father of us all?

Think about it.

francois

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think Paul was enforcing the JW view of shunning. If you want to belong to a club or society, you must follow certain rules, or you're out. You might not socialize with a person that is regarded by all as a reprobate. Most groups want to have members that are of like mind. It's when you adopt an attitude that everyone else that doesn't agree with you is actually DEAD, that there's trouble in paradise.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My brother was df'd in 1977, and to this day my mother has never had a meal with him. She has served him coffee though.................it doesn't say they can't drink together.

My aunt is also a loyal JW and when her df'd daughter was alive she wouldn't eat a sit down meal with her, but did eat at family things when it was buffet style. Also we went to visit her one time and brought lunch. We all sat in her living room, but she had no problem eating together. Mom won't though. I guess it's up to their conscience.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Jehovah's Witnesses are supposed to conduct BUSINESS with anyone, whether DF'd or not,

Just to clarify: Dubs are NOT permitted to do business with DF/DA persons. In fact, the Borg tells them that existing contracts may be fulfilled but after that no dealings are allowed.

Cheers, Ozzie

• berylblue
    berylblue

Mulan, that was a good example of how Witnesses stretch the rules to suit their own situation. I'm not saying these persons are wrong, but I remember when I was a Witness, that outright lying was condemned, but stretching the truth, or omiting certain parts of it, was more than acceptable. The stories mentioned in your post are excellent examples of how JWs do work their way around the rules. Again, I'm not condemning it. But most JWs will swear they are totally honest, and obey all the FDS' loving rules. Quite frankly, from my observation, many do not.

Rosemarie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit