TRICKY WORDS and why not to use them

by Terry 23 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Titch, that's the problem with the internet sometimes. It obscures previous information and just presents the new consensus.

I have plenty of old sources and was taught it was, "Here. Here." as in 'over here, this person here, I agree."

You would use, "Hear. Hear." in a situation such as, "Hear ye. Here ye." when announcing something.

But, the term for agreement is, "Here. Here."

The internet is not the only source or even the best source for historical word use.

• Terry
    Terry

I found this:
    shorturl.at/hyDT2

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes. I've found plenty of sources pointing to British origins online.

What I'm not finding is colonial American usage which is what I was taught but there seems to be no trace of digitally.

I clearly remember being taught this. And, I'm not willing to let this one go!

• Terry
    Terry

I know exactly what you mean about sources of 'first learning' because I'm 74
    and so much of what I'm certain of has been hit with a wrecking ball over the many years since then.

Lexicographers have the task of monitoring how English is used day-to-day, year by year in print. As language is modified by speakers and writers it is reflecting actual state-of-the-art usage.
    That malleable handling isn't rigid at all and those Lexicographers aren't gatekeepers of the flame. No Sir. They are merely reporters on the ground.
    This, of course, bothers me because I'm an old-fashioned Puritan at heart probably
    due to tendencies toward Asperger's or -as it has been modified - Autism Spectrum Disorder :)
    Global Warming is Climate Change.
    And on and on and on. Moving the goalposts is evidence of insidious gaslighting in my book.
    I don't ever want to be inducted into Conspiracy Thinking because there is a deep abyss (rather than a rabbit hole) I can get lost in. However, I would prefer language be unchanging. Ain't uh gonna happen. I know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit