How Do Jehovah's Witnesses View Education?

by southyukon 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy

Any JW elder who encourages his child to go to university stands the huge risk of being removed from his position.

See the elder "training" video here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOGi26c2BC0

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    A Bible proverb says: "The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself." (Proverbs 22:3)

The truism expressed in that proverb is that forethought and planning for the future is shrewd. Education, both practical and philosophical are powerful shields from the real dangers of poverty and credulity.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

The GB: " Let's keep the members good and stupid, the easy to control!"

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Most of the higher education stuff is just on paper. It depends on how your local elders view you. In my congregation, all 4 elders are young married men, raised in the truth, and university graduates, one of them even a postgraduate with a P.hD. You need to know your way through people to succeed in any organization, even the JW's. If you don't, then you are screwed, whether you pursue a college education or not.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg hates higher education.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

When I was a tween the elders had all the kids in the congregation get up on the stage and answer some questions. They asked us what we wanted to do when we grew up. They had lined us up from oldest to youngest and I was right after my older sister. She loudly and proudly proclaimed that she wanted to go to college.. and then they rethought what they were doing and stopped asking an of us any questions. I didn't have an answer at the time so I didn't mind that the rest of us were asked to sit down after that. But I always remember it because it pretty loudly broadcasts how they feel about education.

The thing is, that they don't want people to get educated. But at the same time, people who go to college get better jobs, make more money, and can give more of their money to the JWs. People with money are treated better in the organization. There is also a truth that the organization needs lawyers and other people who have long college careers and they prefer to get them from within the organization.

So, while the organization is threatened by education, they also want people to make more money and provide more uses to the organization.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

jwundubbed, Yes, it is quite the paradox: on the one hand, they want dumb people that can't defend themselves from the WT's distorted doctrines, but on the other hand, they want smart people who can defend them from the consequences of those distorted doctrines.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The latest "Flock" book for elders goes into this subject in detail. No priveledges. Removal of Elders whose CHILDREN even go to college. The GB seems to have doubled down.

I eventually went to college as an adult, attending classes on non-meeting nights and some weekends. I had to keep my mouth shut to do it. It was like I was having an affair... or smoking in the bathroom. lol.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Notformer:

Yeah - nothing like expecting to be able to have it both ways!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Education stimulates "critical thinking" skills.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit