Why "fancy dress" and "theme weddings" were BANNED by our Congregation!

by Witness 007 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• just fine
    just fine

Funny they should choose footloose, given the movie was about repressing free thought.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Use a Bible theme like dressing up in burned or tattered clothing with red paint splatter on it to represent blood. Then you can lay on the floor in all kinds of horrible position's showing what it will look like after Armageddon. To make it more realistic get some fat stuffed birds. Showing them pecking out someone's eye's. If anyone complains just tell them we are enacting a scene you saw in one of their publication. Still Totally ADD

• SadElder
    SadElder

There was something written at some point in the past about "costume" parties. I don't remember whether it was a letter to elders or a Watchtower discussion. I'll see if I can dredge it up.It's definitely a no no in dub land.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Dress up like John the Baptizer .... after the beheading.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fancy Dress was banned in all forms, as I was told by an elder once "we do not believe in Fairy Tales or stories about Superhuman beings!"

Hmmm...

• just fine
    just fine

I went to several formal parties - just far away from my home congregation. In my area it was a huge no- no, but as long as I was far enough away that no one local would know - it was A-ok. Optics are everything.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I know someone who grew up in Baltimore during the 70's and she told me that the Congs couldn't play records at wedding receptions, can someone tell me what scripture supports that ??

• jws
    jws

Well, OK. I mean for as anti-weapons as they are, I could see the swords. And strictly speaking wasn't dressing as a woman prohibited in the Bible? If we're still under Mosaic law, that is.

But then again, if you dressed as somebody like Moses or David, you'd probably have to wear a sword too. As two of the top killers in the bible, they were each responsible for more deaths than any pirate would have been.

A party held for fancy dress? Reminds me of Bon Scott who said that "Some balls are held for charity and some for fancy dress. But when they're held of pleasure, they're the balls that I like best".

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    ...and a Pioneer bro dressed up as a ballarena with full female make up!

Damn! The one thing I never got to do

• SadElder
    SadElder

Here is the word of the dubs on such a ghastly thing as a costume ball. The shame of it all.

*** w92 8/15 p. 19 par. 17 Social Entertainment—Enjoy the Benefits, Avoid the Snares ***
    17 Fine oversight of a social gathering includes its planning and preparation. This does not require devising a catchy theme to make it unique or memorable but which would imitate worldly parties, such as costume balls or masquerade parties. Can you imagine faithful Israelites in the Promised Land planning a party where all were to dress like pagans in Egypt or another land? Would they plan sensuous dancing or wild music that might be the rage among pagans? Back at Mount Sinai, they did get ensnared in music and dancing such as may have been current and popular in Egypt. We know how God and his mature servant Moses viewed that entertainment. (Exodus 32:5, 6, 17-19) Hence, the host or overseer of a social event should consider whether there will be any singing or dancing; and if so, he should be sure that it is consistent with Christian principles.—2 Corinthians 6:3.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit