Americans only...

by Jayson 10 Replies latest social current

• Jayson
    Jayson

Do you care what people think of you from a prejudice ideology?

What is more important to you, what you think of yourself or, what people who have never met you think you are probably like?

Does it make you feel good to pretend to be superior by putting others down?

Does being a citizen in the most powerful nation on earth make you better than everyone else?

What do you think makes the world hate the United States so much?

9/11 changed the world and America forever. For a brief moment the world stopped. Many people think that a valuable opportunity to come together as the human race was lost. Others think that it is time to abandon allies that will not stand beside the US. Do you have a opinion on this? What did America fail to do? What did it do right?

I watched a fantasitic (real) documentary called "In search of 9/11" it asked some questions like these. I highly recommend watching the program and answering yourself these questions if you have the time.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Sorry, but I'm going to butt in here.

I don't

What did America fail to do?

Nothing. S11 was not some sort of justice thing - it was an act of blind hatred by RICH (not poor) people elsewhere in the world

What did it do right?
    Started hunting the bastards responsible...
  • COMF
    COMF

Of course I care. I would rather have people exercise a little insight and maturity than see them take the easy way out with a mob mentality. But I also realize that people by and large are prone to harboring prejudices. I do it myself (to my occasional dismay, when I see the evidence). So I'm tolerant when it comes to how people perceive me. I know what I am, and my self-worth is derived from my own estimation, not that of others. Knowing for a fact that I am a good and honorable person makes it possible for me to accept and understand the less-than-true blanket asessments made by others, and deal with them in an appropriate manner.

What is more important to you, what you think of yourself or, what people who have never met you think you are probably like?

See above.

Sometimes. Sometimes it just makes me feel ashamed.

Does being a citizen in the most powerful nation on earth make you better than everyone else?

Actually, I am only a citizen of the USA by the circumstance of birth. I think of myself as a citizen of Earth.

Partly ugly truth, partly ignorant prejudice.

9/11 changed the world and America forever. For a brief moment the world stopped. Many people think that a valuable opportunity to come together as the human race was lost. Others think that it is time to abandon allies that will not stand beside the US. Do you have a opinion on this? What did America fail to do? What did it do right?

Your descriptive lead-in to the question is too vague for an intelligent reply. What "valuable opportunity"? How was it "lost"? Which "allies", and why did this question come up? Some exposition is needed before I can answer.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I couldn't describe my thoughts any better than comf just did.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

A combination of factors. The United States being the only remaining superpower in the world after the Cold War has been a cause of jealousy and envy among other nations who wish they could attain material wealth and power on a comparable scale. When you have hundreds of nations and only one has the ability to buck the system (sometimes justifiably, sometimes in arrogance) and do as it pleases.. this causes others to despise them. Add to this the international perspective (I find some merit in this viewpoint, but not entirely) from many non-American citizens that the United States is a bully who imposes it's will and wants on other nations via it's foreign policy, and that in some instances the US is a hypocrite (condemning Saddam Hussein for using chemical weapons on his own citizens when the US has done the same thing with Agent Orange in Vietnam or the Tuskegee Incident, or calling for the removal of a sovereign state's regime based on the premise that they are stockpiling weapons of mass destruction when the only nation on earth to use nukes is the United States and it has the largest stockpile on earth Double-standard maybe?). Many nations feel threatened that they are losing their culture and traditions passed down over centuries when McDonald's and strip malls begin showing up in nations like Pakistan and China who are historically much more conservative both in government and in religion (like it or not in some aspects this is intertwined)

No. It makes me fortunate to have been born into the most prosperous and powerful nation on earth which grants me freedoms (of speech, of thought, etc.) that millions do not possess.

Now back to your original questions:

No. For years I cared what other people think, but if you spend your life concerning yourself with other people's approval, you cost yourself happiness. People are going to think what they want regardless. Your acceptance of yourself is so much more valuable.

What I think of myself without question.

It varies. Some people deserve to be treated harshly because of how they treat others. Arrogant JW's are a fine example. Taking the time and opportunity to expose them for the false religion that they are is rewarding when it prevents other innocent individuals from being ensnared by the cult. It is also beneficial because the Dubs who believe they are exclusively going to survive Armaggedon while billions of others will be carrion for vultures deserve to be knocked down a few notches to reality.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I try to put events into context by looking at history. How has the US acted compared to other World Powers in the past? Historically, the current "World Power" is always attacked by others. So in context, what is new?

A nation welding great power comes with it a great error sometimes. The human condition. This too, I place in context and history.

Some feel that the US does not give enough, while at the same time the same person feels that the US is involved too much in the world’s affaires.....You can’t have it both ways.

Really, as a citizen, I wish I lived in Mexico! I love the US.....but I love the way of life and the history down there too. I wish I was down in Mexico right now...somewhere laying on the beach, smoking a fine Cuban cigar, running a Tropical Drink stand..........

• Francois
    Francois

Remember in the old West how dangerous it was to have a reputation as the fastest gun west of the Pecos?

Same thing here. There's always someone, usually some pimply-faced nobody who wants to make a name for themselves by blowing away the fastest gun west of the Pecos - um, that would be us. And I think that had a lot to do with S11.

I won't rest well until Osama bin Laden has been run to ground; and also we know for a fact that we've got Saddam deader than a door nail. And, sorry, I have a really hard time trusting anyone from the middle east claiming to be Muslim. Islam is the only religion on the planet started by a warrior. Have you personally read the Koran? Let me suggest that you do...as soon as you can. It's a hard read, but worth it.

francois

• COMF
    COMF
    I wish I was down in Mexico right now

What's the holdup?

• Jayson
    Jayson
    Your descriptive lead-in to the question is too vague for an intelligent reply. What "valuable opportunity"? How was it "lost"? Which "allies", and why did this question come up? Some exposition is needed before I can answer.

Comp I'm not trying to be vauge. One fine point is on the documentary of 9/11 is that some 80 countries were attacked and lost citizens and loved ones. But it is called "The Attack on America" (my words) I think that is wrong. American soil yes so we should take it very personally. But it does involve others and we should not forget that. In many books and print I read and in the 9/11 documentary there is the reference to "a lost opportunity." And, there is the "hawk talk" about those "with us or against us." I won't talk to much because I am not trolling here nor am I taking a dig on anyone. But, I think both are extremes. I'm asking have you ever considered that many countries were attacked on that day? (For one thing)

ThiChi I like your retirement planI have never been to Mexico but I have heard it's nice. Someday I hope to go.

Reborn thanks.

Fran yes I have read the Koran and keep the "Esentials" version. I also have read "The History of God." Which I recommend. I think that the Koran is hard for a Western mind to grasp and embrace. It is not the Bible. I have heard that it is more like poetry and less analytical.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Do you care what people think of you from a prejudice ideology? Yes, of course.

What is more important to you, what you think of yourself or, what people who have never met you think you are probably like? That's a hard one.............probably what I think of myself, but I hate it when people don't like me or misunderstand me.

Does it make you feel good to pretend to be superior by putting others down? Never!!!!!!!

Does being a citizen in the most powerful nation on earth make you better than everyone else? No, sometimes it's an embarrassment.

What do you think makes the world hate the United States so much? They butt in to situations that are none of their business and act superior to others, as if this government is the right one..........sort of like JW's.

9/11 changed the world and America forever. For a brief moment the world stopped. Many people think that a valuable opportunity to come together as the human race was lost. Others think that it is time to abandon allies that will not stand beside the US. Do you have a opinion on this? Interesting...........could be a valuable opportunity was lost. I don't agree about abandoning allies. There will always be differences of opinion. What did America fail to do? It failed to wait and attacked Afghanistan too quickly. I think they kept information from us about what really happened. What did it do right? Kept it on the news for us, so we could share the feelings with the rest of the country and the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit