Watchtower Library Won't Run

by sfbayarea 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Can you find an old OS for an older computer then use it just for the WT library. Might be extreme, but if you really want to run them that is workable. Just don't go on the internet with that machine.

• vienne
    vienne

Delete WT library. Run a registry cleaner. CCleaner is free. Then clean install the library. WHEN IT ASKS YOU IF YOU WANT TO AUTO UPDATE, SAY NO. If you auto update, it will stop working.

• sfbayarea
    sfbayarea

"Delete WT library. Run a registry cleaner. CCleaner is free. Then clean install the library. WHEN IT ASKS YOU IF YOU WANT TO AUTO UPDATE, SAY NO. If you auto update, it will stop working"

Before doing above I ran sfc/scannow as an administrator - No problems found.

I deleted WT Library and ran CCleaner then clean installed the WT Library.

I reported the issue to Microsoft as a possible bug.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous
    Is Windows on computer 1&2 a 32-bit Windows (regardless of your actual CPU)? Most likely you're missing one of the many Runtime Libraries or you're running the wrong version (32/64 bit version). You should check with the manufacturers of the software (which is not WT, I forgot who actually developed the software, I'm guessing iSilo) although as far as I know, WTLIB has been abandoned as an 'official source' within the JW organization.
  • vienne
    vienne

did you run the ccleaner Registry cleaner, or just ccleaner?

• sfbayarea
    sfbayarea

"Is Windows on computer 1&2 a 32-bit Windows"

No - All 4 computers are 64 bit Windows

"did you run the ccleaner Registry cleaner, or just ccleaner?"

I ran both

I also disabled AVG during the install and left it disabled while trying to run WT Library

• St George of England
    St George of England

I run WT Library on a 64 bit machine with Windows 10 and also a 32 bit machine with Vista.

Never had any problems or had to change anything.

Just put the DVD-ROM in the slot and let it do its thing. Auto updates without problem.

George

• sfbayarea
    sfbayarea

I finally got the Watchtower Library to run on computers 3. & 4.

A 3rd party program ( I don't know which one yet ) was keeping Watchtower Library from running.

I installed Office 2016 on computer 3. this morning but Excel, Word etc would not run.

Microsoft support suggested doing a "Clean Boot" as they thought 3rd party software was to blame.

The "Clean Boot" resulted in Excel, Word etc running like they are supposed to

Watchtower Library also ran like it is supposed to.

A "Clean Boot" on computer 4. resulted in Watchtower Library running like it is supposed to.

I just need to track down which particular software program to remove from computers 3. & 4.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Hey sfbayarea:

If you would, keep us posted on what you find.

I have a Win7 64 bit desktop. When I installed WTLib 2016 it installed and ran fine. But I had the auto update turned off. When I tried the manual update it downloaded the 178 mb package without a hitch. Then it asked me if I wanted to do the update. I said yes and it started to update. But then it stopped and said it ran into an unexpected problem. After this WTLib would no longer run. I would try to start it and it would say that it ran into an unexpected problem.

So I uninstalled the program and tried to install from the DVD and the install stopped, saying there was an unexpected problem. I had to delete every Watchtower entry in the registry (with regedit) and then it would allow me to install again.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

Have you tried to turn off the antivirus? I have had problems with my computer in the past and it helped. Don't forget to turn it back on though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit