Following Christ "from a distance."

by New day 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    I remember this guilt tripping at the convention. Not surprised to hear of a CO using it to further bully bros locally.
    It does represent a policy / approach change. I say this because there was a major release about "reaching out" in the Nov 2011 WT. There has been a further WT release since then but I forget precisely when. The Nov 2011 WT is interesting and useful in that it has provided me with a good referenced reason for not "reaching out".....
    "Of course, a brother does not have to be a ministerial servant or an elder in order to help others and have a full share in the ministry."

Additionally, the article states that......
    "..... Jesus did not lecture or threaten his disciples."
    It is probably the case that the WTS is not gaining the input of elders which they hoped for as a result of their WT articles on "reaching out". That they think guilt tripping at conventions or during CO visits will work shows how lacking in EQ they are.
    Becoming an elder is bad for your health, bad for relationships. Even "reaching out" to be an elder can be damaging. It brings you closer to a niche of individuals who tend to bully and they will eventually expect you to adopt the same behavioural profile.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Becoming an elder is bad for your health, bad for relationships. Even "reaching out" to be an elder can be damaging. It brings you closer to a niche of individuals who tend to bully and they will eventually expect you to adopt the same behavioural profile

SO true

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    An Elder out of the blue who i bearly know told me he spoke with the C.O and told him he would stop pioneering to look after sick family...the c.o said sternly: "Thats okay ...everyone is replaceable..."...ahhh the love!!!
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Yea I used to encourage my 3 boys to "reach out". Thankfully they never listened to me. lol

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• never a jw
    never a jw
    another piece of evidence the watchtower is hurting, Company men are becoming few and far between
  • steve2
    steve2

The organization can only give what it's got:

A dark, unloving heart oozing judgement and demanding your full and uncomplaining obedience.

You know very well how to make Kitty purr - you just not doing it. So, out come the claws.

Kitty not happy with you. Kitty scratch you. Run away from Kitty fast. Run. Or wear Kitty-proof protection.

• New day
    New day

Thanks to all for replies. You make a very good point Nicholaus, about how it seems the "encouragement" to reach out didn't work, so now it is the hard line. I don't remember that article from 2011 you mention. Must look it up. I agree that becoming an elder is bad for relationships. With your wife, with the other elders ,who will always include at least one bully, so cue the power struggle. As somebody who honestly is not very ambitious, I always looked on in amazement as the big beasts fought it out! I think I probably don't want to go back into that again, even though my wife would like me to serve again.

• freddo
    freddo

@Alive!

"Bullying disguised as encouragement" So, so true.

Especially from the GB and their puppets the C.O.'s

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I hated that comment at the convention. Perhaps there is a reason that many brothers aren't reaching out. I think the reason is that people see exactly what being an Elder really means. More mundane responsibilities, Elder meetings, conflict with other Elders, taking the lead in Field Service, Judicial Committees. And what do you get for all this? Maybe some praise from some in the hall, you get to be part of the Elder club and some Public Talks. Not really worth it since it is all empty and meaningless. Absolutely everything Elders do is an unnecessary chore. Working day in and day out for an org which accomplishes nothing.
  • Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Another good riposte to those seeking to guilt trip us into "reaching out" is this quotation from the w14 9/15 page 3 (Are You Reaching Out?).....

"Some believe that they are successful only if they get this privilege or that appointment. Such thinking is erroneous and can turn into an obsession. If you serve Jehovah faithfully wherever you are and whatever you do, you are a success." [bold mine].

I don't reach out, don't give money, don't have "privileges" and don't care what any temple police officer (elder) or high priest (circuit overseer) thinks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit