Significant Changes Happening - Even Though Many May Not Realize

by JWTom 7 Replies latest jw friends

• JWTom
    JWTom

I posted this item a few weeks ago (link below) with a compilation of items that could happen as the organization unravels - even though many (including myself) may find it unlikely, improbable or simply too much of a change to believe.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5165806634663936/drastic-upcoming-changes-accelerated-pandemic

As an active PIMO though, I came up with the list in the above post simply from the standpoint that very significant changes have been occurring on an ongoing basis and sometimes I think even very active witnesses do not realize it. A few major items that have been ongoing or were singular events listed below. I have seen so many downsizing changes since the 1970s when I was a young boy that it seems unrealistic to not embrace other coming massive changes that have been accelerated by Covid.

These are basically structural changes in the org....doctrinal changes would be another lengthy list that is brought here many times as well.

1. Elimination of District Overseers

2. Layoffs at Bethel (we left bethel around the time these were starting in the late 1990s - thankfully, we left on our own)

3. Awake magazine is no more....is this true?

4. Consolidation of Congregations and sale of Kingdom Halls - In our area, we saw the sale of five Kingdom Halls starting around the year 2000 and continuing up until now (likely more, these were just the ones we knew of). Also, many of these were simply Kingdom Halls that were eliminated - no new hall built.

5. Reduction in the length of assemblies/conventions. Slowly becoming fewer and fewer days compared with assemblies in 1970s timeframe.

6. Elimination of Watchtower magazine content. I am guessing most active JWs do not even realize that the public Watchtower magazine has been reduced to just a handful of pages for the whole calendar year (mentioned on another post).

7. Elimination of the Book Study.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Hi JW Tom,

I was born in '63, and you are dead on about the major structural changes. They are staggering.

The WT seems to be trying to figure out a way to dodge all the responsibility that goes along with running a global high-control church similar to the Catholic Church complete with confessionals, tribunals, clergy etc. while at the same time keeping their doctrinal influence.

If their doctrinal influence wanes to the point where they can't weaponize family relationships against dissenters, they are done.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It would be very interesting to listen in on a GB meeting and how they will try to come up with some "New Light" to explain away their present predicament and keep the R&F interested and active members without the risk of losing more and more people.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Remember when conventions were 5 day events that went from like 9am to 4pm. I heard they just had the circuit assembly, 1 day over Zoom, down from 2 days, basically pre-recorded speeches. No need to go to multiple conventions to hear the same points from different speakers.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Awake magazine. .?

Where did the rumour come from. It is easy to check online . Truth is it has been reduced to next to nothing but it still appears 3 times a year ,undated. It is more a series of brochures now , only half the number of pgeas each time too.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    3. Awake magazine is no more....is this true?

There have so far not been any 2021 issues of Awake!, though this is consistent with the November 2020 announcement that there would be delays. I am not aware of any official announcement that it has been discontinued. It is possible they are testing whether anyone actually cares, which could lead to them quietly discontinuing it, but it is too early to say.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

What y'all are seeing is a highly specialized organism trying to rapidly evolve (whilst retaining its core characteristics)...

...in order to survive in a drastically changing environment that it increasingly inimical to said survival.

Consider the fossil record for examples. Vidiot

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The internet and lawsuits are the slow death of Watchtower. They will use COVID19 as an excuse to expedite some changes. They will continue their slow death regardless of what they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit